Thursday, February 7, 2008

Janufeb blahs

I've been trying to write a new post for a few days now, but I just can't seem to come up with anything witty or touching. Sorry, dear readers, but the winter blahs have effectively taken over my mind. I find myself lethargic (except during my training runs), melancholy, and wishing spring were here already. Not the windy, blustery, rainy spring, but the bird twittering, tulip growing, sun-shiny spring I vaguely remember from years past. I think my tolerance for Michigan (and Massachusetts) winters has run out. Yesterday at 11:00am it was very dark. I was out trying to run some last minute errands before the storm started. But before I could get home, the hail began. Then it snowed. Then it rained. Then it sleeted. Then it snowed some more. All of my car doors and the door to my gas tank were frozen shut this morning. I had to pry the gas tank thing open with my keys and my scraper. Sigh. I know, I know, no one likes to read a bunch of whining. I'm done now.

To combat the winter blahs, we're headed to an indoor water park on my birthday. It's called the Kalahari, and I think it will be magnificent. Four other families are joining us. We'll stay two nights and play until we drop with exhaustion. Then we'll turn on the fireplace and warm up. We're sharing some 3-bedroom suites with full kitchens, so the kids will love being together and going crazy for two days straight. Should be fun! Maybe I should visit a tanning bed before we go. My pale skin's not going to look so great. Nah, that's what we Michiganders look like - pasty.

Kyle's off to some job interviews soon, so wish us luck! He has interviews at University of Oregon, Washington University in St. Louis, and Northwestern University in Chicago. I've already picked out a house for us in Eugene. You can see it here. It has a little apartment over the garage for anyone who wants to come and stay with us. I don't have any idea if we can afford this house, but I like it. Of course, we don't have a job yet, but I like to be prepared. I've been looking at houses in St. Louis and north of Chicago too. What fun! Can't wait for that second bathroom and the garage.

Okay, I'm feeling better. I think I'll go shovel some snow and read a book. Kara's sleeping and the other two are at school, so it's me time!

Amy

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Hey Amy,

Eugene is my stomping ground. I grew up down the road in Corvallis and my parents now live 15 minutes from Eugene in the country. So that's my vote!!

Amy D said...

I want to go to the Kalahari with you! I miss trips with the Petersons! I hear you on the winter blah mind. Good for you for getting out and fighting it! We'll keep our fingers crossed for some sun one of these days.

Maren Hansen said...

Wowee, if you don't buy that house, I will!! For that price here, you can get a 2 bedroom cape cod, built in the early 1950's, full of mold (some of it toxic), and be guaranteed at least one flood every 5 years. As a bonus, you get a postage stamp backyard, and an hour commute. Now where do you want to live, huh?... :)

Mandie said...

You will love the Kalahari! Especially if you are going with other families. We did that too and rented a condo type thing and we had a blast! We trying to fit it in one more time before we move, but we shall see.

Polliwog said...

The whole time we were there last year, I kept thinking how fun it would be to have everybody there. Now we aren't. Sadness.