Here it is, the winning post. Six whole people said they'd like to read this post over the other options. Hope you enjoy it!
My aha moment began around Christmas time, but its truthfulness was solidified in my mind on Jillian's birthday. What was I astonished to discover? It is this: Most childhood magic is a result of Mom's efforts. Most fun family traditions happen because Mom makes them happen. And I am the Mom who must put forth this effort.
On Jillian's birthday I woke up early to greet her and make her day special. She had requested crepes for breakfast. I served them with mango and strawberries and also made a smoothie. Then we had to decorate cakes, which she wanted to help with. I was worried about getting everything done in time for church, since Kyle is gone at meetings in the morning. But we also had to open presents, take videos, and try to make the whole day special, which I really wanted to do. We invited several families over for cake and ice cream that evening and had a remarkably unchaotic and enjoyable time. On Saturday, the day before her birthday, I took Jillian and four friends out for lunch at McDonald's and then to Chuck E Cheese's. This was instead of a standard birthday party. Then on Monday night I made her the pizza dinner I didn't have time to make on Sunday. Whew! I had an interesting conversation with Kyle on Sunday, as I was realizing I didn't have time to do the pizza dough before church. It went like this:
A: I don't think I have time to do the pizza dough before church, and it won't have enough time to rise after church. I feel so bad, but I don't know what to do.
K: Well, I think you should make the dinner she asked for. It is her birthday.
A: (Giving a look that says it all.)
K: Oh. I guess that's easy for me to say, since you're the one that's doing everything for her.
Yes, that's right. I did everything. I did everything for Christmas, too. I bought every gift, wrapped every gift, sent every card, made every treat, and on and on and on. I think Kyle helped decorate the tree. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not really complaining. This concept is just astonishing to me. I grew up and enjoyed lovely birthdays, holidays, vacations, etc. without really realizing all the work that was done by my Mom to make it happen. And she never even went all out. Now I know why we didn't have homemade rolls or pies at every holiday, and why Baskin-Robbins ice cream cakes became a family staple for birthdays. Hey, those cakes are delicious! I now get why Kyle's Mom wasn't too sad to pass of the being-in-charge-of-holiday job to his oldest sister Jill. And I'm learning to start the holiday preparations early, have the kids help with some of the work, and choose wisely the projects I take on during busy times. My friend Rebekah sends a Valentine's Day update every year instead of a Christmas card. It's become a fun thing to look forward too.
I was tired after Jillian's birthday, but I think she had a good day. I want to be the one to make the magic, I do, but it might just be little bursts of magic, and not 4th of July fireworks. I've decided that the kids will have to take turns having birthday parties with friends, maybe every other year, so that they are a little more special, and a little less work. I might work my "Mom Magic" at unexpected times, like a day off from school. The kids love it when I put on my fake French accent, grab my pen and pad of paper, and declare the restaurant "Chez Ami" is open for lunch orders.
I think being a Mom can be the hardest job in the universe. It can also be the easiest, most fun, most rewarding, and most educational. So here's to facing a future of birthdays, holidays, vacations, and events with pride and gusto! Here's to Mom Magic.
ap
4 comments:
You ARE a magic mom! And that conversation with Kyle is priceless. Chad and I have had plenty a similar conversation about the "great ideas" that equal tons of work for me and none for him. I'm sure I'll be calling you for advice on motherhood for many years to come. You really know how to do it right, lady.
I try not to think too much about it, because then I feel overworked and underpaid. Sometimes I realize that I've had to use the bathroom for more than an hour before I finally find the time.
It's worth it, though.
Amen! I'd love to hear your other entries too (the ones that didn't "win"), just for the record.
Are all husbands alike? I was astonished when Wayne told me that moving wasn't really hard. That's when I told him that it's easy for him, because all he does is load and unload the truck. I do the packing, unpacking, organizing, switching addresses with a million companies, on and on.
But anyway, back to the mom magic thing. It's true! Go Amy! I think your kids have a wonderful mom (and the eat lots of good food!)
Post a Comment