Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Failed, I have


I have a genuine, bona fide Star Wars fan on my hands. He is about 43 inches tall and almost 5 years old. He's figured out that the most recent movies are really 1, 2, and 3, and that Return of the Jedi is number 6. He pores over the large Star Wars book we happened upon at the library, the one that details every ship from every movie. Today he was babbling on and on about Boba Fett and Jenga Fett. And here's where my failure comes in. I do not know enough about Star Wars to satiate his little mind. I don't quite remember why Han Solo was frozen or how he got out of it. I've never actually seen all of Return of the Jedi, nor do I know the proper name the thing he calls a "two walker." I think he figured it out on his own, thanks to the over-sized book. When he asks me some detailed question about lightsaber colors, Count Dooku, or some other obscure-to-me Star Wars fact, I have to say "Sorry, buddy, but I don't know. You can try asking your Dad later tonight." He just turns away and shakes his head, giving an exasperated sigh.

I tried to redeem myself by playing the original Mario Brothers video game on an online emulator. We didn't grow up with any sort of video game system in our home, and I played only occasionally at our neighbor's house. They were cool neighbors. They always had Cocoa Puffs, which we never had. Anyway, I made it through the first level no problem, and even got a "nice jump" from H. Then it was the 2nd level of the 1st world, underground. I got confused on which key was jump and died pretty fast. "Aw, Mom," I heard from the boy sitting next to me. "Don't die. Just jump." Right, right. Never did like video games. Or Star Wars.

I think I've somehow committed myself to making a blue lightsaber cake for H's upcoming birthday. I'll have to use Yoda's mantra to help me through.

Do or do not. There is no try.

May the force be with me.

Amy

PS -- Off to the Kalahari tomorrow, so I probably won't post until the weekend. Happy days!

11 comments:

Mandy said...

Welcome to my world.
Oh man, you HAVE to see the R2D2 cake I made for Seth's last birthday. It was insane, and totally worth it! I'll e-mail you a pic.

A birthday gift idea: Amy D. made hooded Jedi robes for her boys and Seth still talks about them, even though we haven't been there since Christmas!

Amy D said...

Learn, you will. (Do you like my Yoda talk?) Star Wars is just something you HAVE TO learn when you have little boys. Hayden is welcome to call any of our boys when he has questions about Star Wars trivia. They would love to have an interested party! And Mandy, I want to see your R2D2 cake too! Amy, I'll miss you while you're at the Kalahari! Have a great time, and Happy Birthday!

amydear said...

Ooh, ooh, help me out! I have to see the Jedi robe idea. Please! H's birthday is next month, and I'm sure I could make it in time.

Amy D said...

I'll take a picture of the boys in their Jedi robes and send it to you to see if it's something you want to try. I'll dig through my patterns today while they boys are at school. They're not simple to make (especially when you make four of them!), but I'm sure you'll do great. They were definitely worth the work for me, especially since a Jedi robe can also double for a Harry Potter one, etc. etc. Have fun on your trip!

Mandy said...

By the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Steph said...

Somehow hard as we try, mom's just aren't boys, even if they are moms of only boys. It is a deep and eternal truth. I disappoint regularly, but try to be as cool as I possibly can in their little male minds. Where is the Kalahari?

Michael Family said...

Hey, if you know how Yoda talks, you can't be that out of the loop, right? Just get the old Star Wars from Netflix, devote a weekend to it, and you're set!

Liz said...

Don't worry, it's a knowledge that come with time. Mine began when Chris and I started dating and now that we have boys I am a master. So, feel free to call any time, if I'm not around I'm sure isaac can answer any question you have. I have to tell you thought that when Hayden was over the other day everytime he saw a different star wars guy he exclaimed "Wow, that's my favorite one!" Oh and by the way we just found out they re-released the millenium falcon (Han Solo's ship) at Walmart. It might be hard to find in the store but if you are willing to fork out the big bucks, they are going for about $50-$70 on ebay. But if not, Hayden is always welcome to come play with ours!

Polliwog said...

Oh, this takes me back to the days of my brothers. One is 29 and still a fan and collector. I knew a fair amount once--but the part of my brain that holds Star Wars knowledge atrophied with underuse. Thankfully, my girls are not interested in that stuff.

Ken and Amy said...

The Star Wars guy is just an email away (wish we were a courtyard away), so if you ever get stuck, just ask Ken!

Happy Birthday! Have a fun trip...I'm jealous!

amy said...

You know a ton more than I do and I have three boys. I'm pretty much a loser when it comes to that world - but I make a mean balloon twisted dog.