Sunday, August 26, 2007

It's a multicultural world -- at least in my neighborhood

Hey, it's two-for-one blog night! I wanted to get the pictures posted from today, but I was also noticing what a little melting pot my neighborhood is. We live in some townhouses near campus that are managed (poorly, but that's another post) by the university. We've had lots of friends and families move in and out over the years. Right now we have quite an eclectic mix of families that we converse and hang out with. Most of these people are just acquaintances, but it's fun to know so many people from all over the world. Here's a sampling of the cultures we interact with:

Next door we have neighbors from Taiwan. They always compliment me on my garden and brought a present for Kara. Chiung Min (the wife) is sooo funny. She once asked me if I was royalty because I stand straight and tall and look more interesting than other Americans. I think it was a compliment.

Across the way Mira and Doran are American Jews who have given their two boys Hebrew names and invited us over for one night of Hanaukkah. Behind them live Ella and Leon, Russians who moved here from Israel. They have two kids too. I introduced them to Segal and Yosef, another couple who moved here from Israel. Segal is happy to have a Hebrew-speaking friend. They also have children close in age.

We have families from Portugal, Italy, Turkey, Korea, India, China, and who knows where else all around us. I really enjoy the diversity, but sometimes it's hard to remember all the names! Matan, Francesca, Maltum, Shung Wei, Omar, Minna, and similarly foreign names don't always roll right off the tongue. But I like to be able to smile and say hi to people, and I hope we give them a good impression of America. Everyone pretty much gets along; kind of makes me wish the whole world could follow suit.

Amy

1 comment:

ellen said...

United Nations Michigan style!