Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Let's Go Lego!

Hayden turned 9 last week.  Seriously, it's hard to believe he's so old.  I have to start letting him do more things for himself, that's for sure.  I learned a few weeks ago that he doesn't even know how to make a phone call or pick up the phone when it rings.  Huh.  How'd we miss that lesson? 

Anyway, this is a friend birthday party year for him (our kids get them every other year), and tonight was the night!  At first we were going to see a movie, but there are no good movies out this week for 9 year-olds, so we decided to do a Lego theme instead.  Hayden loves, loves, loves Legos.  And since this is probably the last time I'll be able to do a party like this for him, I was excited. 

I would like to note that I put this all together in just 3 days.  I pinned some things on Pinterest a few weeks ago, but due to my grandmother's funeral and our weekend getaway to the coast, I didn't really start working on the party until Monday night.  I might have done things a little bit differently with more time, but it actually came together quite nicely.  And the best part is I don't have to worry about another birthday party until August!

 Goodie bags.  I couldn't find any Lego party supplies in stores (I didn't try terribly hard), and I didn't have any time to order things online.  So I found an army guy bag and decided that was close enough.  The tags were made with a Legothick font I downloaded, and the goodie bags had Lego stickers, a minifigure, gum, Lego brick candy, and some chocolates. 

 Lego head marshmellow pops.  So easy.  I was almost out of yellow food coloring, though, so they didn't turn out quite as yellow as I would have liked.  Just pop marshmellows onto cake or cookie sticks, dip in white chocolate, and let them sit.  When they've hardened, pipe on the little faces with icing.  I used an icing that didn't really harden, so I had to be careful with them.  But it was glittery. 

 The centerpiece.  Hayden got this cool alarm clock from his sisters.  He is holding two birthday balloons.  We used some of Hayden's creations as decor too. 

 Jilly and Hayden perched a little minifigure on everyone's cups.  

 I chose primary-colored plates and tableware to complement the colors of original Legos.

 I made a quick Lego bunting for the mantle, and then Hayden added some more of his Lego sets.
 
 We added some Lego kirigami for the table.  I wanted these to stand, but we didn't have time to perfect them.  The pop of yellow was nice on the table, though. 

 Hayden's cake was based on one of the ninjas from the Lego Ninjago series.  This was my first time working with fondant.  I wanted to make his helmet drape more, but I didn't want to mess up.  I am happy enough with the result. 

 You can actually build with these candy blocks!

 Here the boys are playing a game I called "Lego Factory."  They had to send 75 pieces down the tubing and then place them on the boards.  One team made a fun design. They liked the game.  I got the tubing at Home Depot for about $8.  We also played Lego Bingo, with dollar bills as prizes for Bingos, a game with minifigure parts (mix and match creating), and video games.  I had a couple other games on hand, but they were happy doing other things, so I didn't push it.  At the end of the party we went and saw two really big Lego builds a friend has.

 They boys enjoying their snacks.  A few friends couldn't come because of spring break, but we still had fun!


Hayden was all smiles as he opened up lots of new Lego toys.  


If you're interested in doing your own Lego party, there are several ideas posted on Pinterest.  But if you're not on Pinterest, Tip Junkie has this page with loads of ideas.  I like to use some ideas from others, and some of my own when doing a party.  I enjoy being creative and thinking of what my child will like personally.   Hayden definitely liked his Lego party.  I had a great time too.

post signature

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! What a great party!

Scott and Svetlana said...

Wow! It turned out really nice even with you being so busy. The cake looks awesome and so are lego head marshmallow pops :)
Happy B-day Hayden!

Steph said...

Great boy party! Where did you find the lego brick candy?

Michael Family said...

That looks awesome! I got on your blog to look at Star Wars party ideas. Maybe next year we'll do Lego. :)

Amy D said...

Great job, Amy! My boys would have been in heaven with a Lego birthday party. (I actually made Tyler a Ninjago cake too--smart minds think alike! :) ) Looks like a very fun party. You're such a great mom!