Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Goodbye

I am leaving tomorrow to go to my grandmother's funeral.  She lived a long life and lingered longer than anticipated, so I am not terribly sad.  In fact, I am happy for her to be moving on.  You see, my belief in the plan of salvation tells me that Grandma Catie is now in the spirit world, greeting friends and ancestors who have already died, learning about the gospel of Jesus Christ, and experiencing a measure of rest and peace.  Sounds lovely, really.  I am sad to have lost my last grandparent.  It makes me want my children to be close to their grandparents.  What an asset these experienced family members can be in the lives of younger people.  I loved my grandma because she was always happy to see me and truly loved me.  In the last years of her life, she gave me the best hugs and kisses.  I look forward to honoring and remembering her with my family.

This experience, along with a few others I've had recently, proves to me again how important friends and family are.  I love my friends.  They are like family to me.  I have been so lucky in friendship throughout my life.  I also love each of my siblings and their families, along with my parents.  We are not particularly close to my dad's extended family, and my mom is an only child, so we really rely on our core family unit.  I also have a great family of in-laws.  I have a goal this year to write more handwritten notes.  I'm writing to old friends and people who have made a difference in my life.  I'm going to send 52, one for each week of the year.  If I don't get to you, please know that I am thankful for your friendship and for the way you've influenced my life for good.

Me and Grandma Catie in August, when I last saw her.

post signature

2 comments:

ellen said...

I love the photo of you and your grandma. :)

Steph said...

What a blessing it is to have good memories and a hope and faith in what is to come.