This year I really wanted to do something with the kids to let them experience Veteran's Day, not just have a day off of school. I had a great discussion with Hayden's cub group on Wednesday, so I was feeling motivated. Lucky for me, there is "the biggest Veteran's Day parade west of the Mississippi" in a city just north of us. Even better, I have a friend who lives there. She and her three cute kiddos met us for the parade. It was a nice day weather-wise, and the parade was inspirational and fun. I enjoyed seeing the different military groups marching in uniform, and I think we were all inspired and grateful. As veterans return from serving in Iraq and Afghanistan, I think this holiday needs to take on more meaning. One person of interest in the parade was
Don Malarkey from the actual Band of Brothers. He lives in Oregon and even played football for the University of Oregon. It was very cool to see him. Here are a few snaps from our day. I think we will attend this parade every year as long as the weather is good. I am grateful for all of the men and women who have served in the military.
After the parade we grabbed lunch at Wendy's and went to Kim's new house. It was great to see them and fun to hang out. All in all a great day.




2 comments:
Looks so nice and sunny!
It really was a great day! Kody kept yelling out the window "thanks for serving our country" to any military-looking person he saw, it was cute. I'm so glad you had a good time, and we would love it if you made the parade a yearly tradition!
Post a Comment