Monday, November 7, 2011

So long, October

October was a difficult month for me. I am so glad it is over! I didn't feel well for most of the month, and getting through each day was sometimes a challenge. November is looking up in so many ways. But before I move forward and start planning my Thanksgiving dinner menu (not enough time or kitchen space to cook all the things I'd like to eat), I guess I should revisit Halloween. That happened, right?

Last year we decided to do a kind of "Greek Gods" theme this year, since three of our family members read and enjoyed the Percy Jackson series. But since Kate was just a wee little bug last year, I wasn't feeling up for any sewing adventures. Turns out, I wasn't really feeling up for any sewing adventures this year either. But since I bought the fabric, I had to do it. Some old curtains were the base for the littlest kids togas (Kate refused to wear hers), and then I accessorized accordingly. I learned I'm actually a better seamstress than I give myself credit for, particularly when I am just making things up as I go along. Here's how everything turned out:

Zeus and Hera. Zeus refused to wear a crown. Since he's king of the gods, it's allowed, I suppose. I found my costume to be most unflattering. I resolve to look better next year. And my feet were kinda cold in gladiator sandals as the night wore on. Hera's symbol is the peacock, thus the feathers.

Jillian as Medusa. Sewing 16 snakes into her wig took a bit of time, but the end result was pretty good.


Hayden as Poseidon. His hair was spray painted a glittery green. He really liked his costume.

Kara as "The Pretty Aphrodite, goddess of beauty". She did get a few looks from people who clearly did not know who Aphrodite was. She's missing her belt in this photo. Huh.

Kate as Cupid. She has a little sash on that says "love" and has hearts. I couldn't find her a bow and arrow set, or I just gave up trying too soon. She DID NOT like dressing up.

Another shot of our Greek gang (yes, I know Cupid is Roman). We had a fun night trick-or-treating followed by snacks at a friend's house.

Kate gets the hang of things.


Jillian carved this pumpkin herself and then took a photo of it. We just never made it to carving this year. Argh! Next year will be better. I already have plans to do personalized trick-or-treating bags and a few other things.

On Halloween night I was talked into going off of sugar until Thanksgiving. A week in and I am doing pretty well. I can only imagine how much Halloween candy I might have eaten last week, although the kids are being very disciplined. It's hard to decide what not to eat, though. Are graham crackers and granola bars out? How about diet soda? Brown sugar on oatmeal? So far I'm not eating those things, just having dried fruit and flavored water when I want something sweet. But I might cave and get some sugar free pudding this week because I MISS CHOCOLATE. I am trying to avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible too, so I'm having a bit of honey (funny?!), and maybe maple syrup. I'm going to try to make banana bread or the like with agave syrup, but I've never used it before. And on Thanksgiving Day, I hope to be thankful for the last three pounds I just lost, a sense of taste not dulled by sweet, and the opportunity to have a few slices of pie, one of which must be pumpkin (served cold with real whipped cream).

On to November! Month of thankfulness and delicious foods.



post signature

6 comments:

Michael Family said...

I love all the costumes. That is super creative and educated. Ha ha. That last bit about pumpkin pie with whipped cream almost triggered my gag reflex. Ugh. You can do without sugar but you gotta have pumpkin pie? I just don't get it. I will never be a pumpkin pie eater.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Love the costumes! They are so creative! You are definitely a talented lady. :-) I am back to no sugar also. I didn't touch any Halloween candy but the last dessert I had was chocolate cake and popcorn with chocolate on it. As long as it wasn't an actual piece of Halloween candy, I guess. But now I am 100% no sweets. Are you on myfitnesspal.com? I am loving that!

Cheri said...

Cute costumes. Sorry you weren't feeling great for such a long time.

Ummm.....I think I just put on 5 lbs from Halloween candy. Doesn't 3500 calories equal a pound? Then I must be pretty close. Haven't stepped on the scale, but I know how much junk I've eaten. AAAACK! Should have had this idea thrown in my face sooner! (: Good luck!

Steph said...

Nice costumes--I like the theme. Sorry October was a lousy month. This one will for sure be better. If you get serious about the sugar thing, I have some yummy recipes with agave and maple. Even some raw cookies that you dehydrate instead of baking. Deeelicious.

Polliwog said...

Fun post! For a woman who had a rough month, you sure managed to whip up some fantastic Halloween costumes. Well done!

You are inspiring me with the no sugar thing. I am having a hard time committing to that, but I think I need to again. Either that or go back on my gestational diabetes plan--which has a pretty similar end result with no sugar, actually.

If you are on the fence about what to eat and not to, I will share the "rule of thumb" we had to follow when on the GD diet--stick to approximately 15 g of carbs with a protein. That would mean you'd want to watch the sweeteners like honey, etc. but could probably get away with a granola bar or graham crackers. And we always paired it with a protein (string cheese or greek yogurt were my favorites). That's just one way to do it, but if you're aiming for all natural sugars instead, then that works too.

Sorry for the LONG comment! Good luck on the no sugar...

Amy D said...

You're amazing to put together all those costumes! Happy November to you. Enjoy that pie!