Friday, June 13, 2008

Lovin' for a Decade

10 years ago today I became Mrs. ___________. Wow. 10 years. I have to smile as I type, because it's been great. I love my husband. I love our family. I love the life we built together. I love that we started as friends, turned into lovers, but are still friends. Before we were married, I was blessed to get a glimpse of all of Kyle's potential as a husband and father. I just realized this week that he is turning into that man I pictured so long ago. My love for him is eons deeper than it was then. When I think of how little we really knew each other, and how young we were, I'm kind of shocked that anyone let us get married! But now we have a time-tested relationship and an even stronger commitment to each other. And Kyle grows more and more handsome. Yes, he does look slightly older than he did 10 years ago. And even though we aren't off on a remote island basking in the sun and in each other, we're very happy. We spent much of the day apart, but I think our thoughts were on each other. I wanted to scan in a picture from our wedding, but it's almost midnight, and the pictures are packed, so you'll have to imagine . . .

Two young people in a pavilion. The man is tall in a white tux vest and black pants. His blond hair cut short for an important occasion. His petite bride has dark hair, pulled up with a veil underneath, springy curls escaping their bobby pins in the St. Louis humidity. People seem amused by their opposite characteristics, but declare them a "good match." Her face is flushed with excitement. He can't stop looking in her eyes. The yellow flowers are wilting a bit in the hot summer sun, but cool water beneath the pavilion dances and glistens in the sunlight, happily reflecting the joy of the day. Now they clasp hands, pull towards each other, share the hundredth kiss of the day, whisper "I can't believe we're finally married" for the millionth time, and wait for everyone to go home so they can be alone.

It happened something like that, I'm sure. Here's to you, Kyle. Happy anniversary! Thanks for the house; it's just what I wanted.

Amy

5 comments:

caligirl said...

Happy Anniversary!! 10 years is a long time:-) Good luck on the up coming trek across the country and the move! We will be thinking about you!

Mandy said...

Awww, now that is sweet. I want a house for my 10th anniversary. Luckeeey!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Amy and Kyle. As a roommate of Amy's, it was a privilege to be there in the beginning, and it continues to be a privilege 10 years later. You are a "good match" and it's been so wonderful watching you grow together as a couple and a family over the past 10 years. Here's to 10 more! And 10 after that, and 10 after that, and 10 after that, and 10 after that... Love you both! :)

mama bear said...

Happy Anniversary, I can totally picture it! I just realized that it's moving day and you are probably already gone. Good luck, I hope it goes well and I hope we see you again sometime! We'll miss you.

Amy D said...

What a sweet tribute, Amy. Happy 10th. That's so great! We're so glad we are friends of such a great couple!