Side note: Comments are down on the blog. Either I'm not funny anymore, or people are enjoying better weather and spending less time at their computers. I'm hoping for the latter!
Reporting from St. Louis, we are only homeless for one more week! Technically just 4 more days, but we won't get into the house and get our stuff until next Friday. As we pulled out of Michigan on Monday afternoon, I felt a weird sensation. We were truly homeless. We turned in our keys, but hadn't fully secured a new place in Oregon. It was a weird feeling, let me tell you. I don't think I've ever been without a definite place of dwelling before. We've always known where we're going and had everything all tied up before leaving. We did sign all the papers and wire the money today, but nothing is official until Tuesday. I'm hoping the mail gets forwarded (after being held) and that the utilities get turned on. Already lots to do as almost-homeowners.
One feeling I didn't feel as we were leaving Michigan was sadness. I couldn't muster even one tear. Well, maybe one. As I was cleaning our apartment and watching it get back to its ugly, bare state, I felt so happy to be leaving. We did have a lot of fun living there, and lots of good memories, but I was happy to leave the crummy floors, baseboards, walls, lighting, kitchen, bathroom, and stairs behind. Elated, in fact! Thanks to all my great neighbors who helped watch kids, clean, offered us refreshments and a place to stay for a couple of nights, and were our friends. We had a great ward and great neighbors and friends. We will truly miss them.
We'll see how I'm feeling next Friday, surrounded again by boxes, but in a totally new place where I only know a handful of people. But between now and then lies a 4 day car ride with the kids. We're headed out Monday morning. Pray for us!!
Amy
10 comments:
You're not less funny, no worries. Have a GREAT time driving. ha ha
We know the only reason you didn't cry when you left Michigan is because we were already gone. Things just weren't the same there without us, we know.
Excited for you to make your 4 day drive, good luck. Even more excited for you to get to your new house and get things set up.
It's not too late to make a stop in Minnesota, it is right on the way to Oregon! :)
I have been feeling the same way on my blog! Guess people are just too busy enjoying their summer. How dare they?! Just kidding. Good luck with the move and everything. Keep us posted on how it goes.
Great to hear from you! I've been wondering where in the world you were. I can't wait to hear once you're in the house. Oh, and your comment on my blog about the mantra made me giggle. I'll give it a try! :) Happy driving.
Homeless is not a good feeling, but just think of that beautiful home waiting for you in Oregon!! You're right about enjoying the summer weather too much to comment, but don't worry we still love you! You are missed.
Don't listen to Marisa. Your humor is definitely down from former entries. Just kidding! We love you and will sit on your kids while you unpack.
I sure didn't shed a tear leaving the NW5 nasty apts, but I was sad to leave good friends. Happy driving! If you are stopping in CO give us a call.
I don't envy your 4-day drive, but I am so very excited that you'll be here next summer for your reunion! I'm already making plans...
Good luck with the move, and I hope all works out with the final move-in plans. It will all be over before you know it!
You're not homeless, you're in transition. You'll be settled in before you know it.
How exciting for a change. You're going to be back in the groove in no time! I'll look forward to hearing how the drive goes.
Post a Comment