Sunday, June 1, 2008

Final Tour of Michigan

After the race last weekend, we decided to do a few last Michigan things. For those of you who don't know, Michigan has TWO peninsulas. (You know, peninsula reminds me a lot of a word I don't like to say. Hmm.) We live on the lower peninsula. The upper peninsula (U.P.) is connected to the L.P by a long bridge. A five mile bridge, to be exact. There is also a fun little island up there called Mackinac (pronounced Mackinaw) that can only be reached by ferry. I suppose you could swim, but they didn't advertise that option. Mackinac Island banned cars way back in 1898, so people get around by bike, foot, or horse. The movie Somewhere in Time was filmed there, and everything is quite beautiful. Although I think Prince Edward Island is more beautiful. Here are a few pics from our last Michigan adventure. The pictures of the Mackinaw Bridge are missing because it was covered in fog the day we crossed it. But it is quite spectacular and I have it -- fog and all-- on home video.

I'm getting sad to say we only have 15 days left. Then I look around at my house and all I feel is a sense of PANIC!!! : )

Amy

The Bean poses (she's getting quite adept at that!) on the front of the windy ferry as we approach the island.

Tulips in front of The Grand Hotel. This picture was taken on our carriage ride.

Another view of the island from the ferry. I think this church is beautiful.

Main Street Mackinac Island. Taken from our carriage.

One of the lighthouses out in the bay. Most Michigan lighthouses are kind of pathetic, like this one. They don't hold a candle to the lighthouses in the Northeast.

9 comments:

Angie said...

Looks beautiful and I can't believe you are going to be gone so soon.

Amy D said...

As you were describing it, I thought, "Wow, it sounds a lot like Prince Edward Island." Then you said the same thing. I think about our fun trip there quite often. We miss you guys!

Steph said...

Gorgeous. Don't know that we'll ever be in Michigan again to see it, so I'll enjoy your pictures. I'm excited that you guys are returning to the west. Maybe one of these years we'll have a good old reunion trip. What's half way between eastern Oregon and southern Nevada?

Michael Family said...

Looks like fun! You can duplicate your trip if you come visit me, since I live on the peninsula too. Then we can travel across a foggy bridge, ferry to an island (Angel Island, pronounced Angel-aw Island) that doesn't allow cars either. It's like a parallel universe!

Polliwog said...

That is my only regret--not taking the time to see the UP. Thanks for rubbing it in ;) It looks like it was lots of fun.

Liz said...

That picture od the church looks like it could be a postcard, have you ever thought of a new profession?

ellen said...

I want to photograph that lighthouse!! Happy packing!

Ken and Amy said...

Ahhh...(sigh)...Michigan! Those were the days and soon it will be a thing of the past for you too. Good luck with your upcoming adventure. I miss Michigan but definately NOT NW5!

Anonymous said...

Yippie! You finally made it! Looking at your photos reminds me how much I want to go back! Did you see the lilacs? Happy packing!
Anna from Arlington