I love it when I have a few tricks up my sleeve! This week is both Valentine's Day and Jillian's 7th birthday. Since Valentine's Day is on a Thursday and we don't really have anyone to babysit, I think I'm going to prepare a romantic family dinner. What? Did you really mean that, Amy? A romantic FAMILY dinner? Why yes, I did. I did it last year with great success. It's amazing how polite and quiet children can be if you light candles, set the table nicely, and expect good manners. Our menu:
Pan-fried filet mignon with sauce (I kid you not. $16.99/lb at Whole Foods.)
Fettucine alfredo
Crusty rolls with citrus butter
Fresh green beans (or haricots verts, if you're feeling fancy)
Sparkling juice
Molten chocolate cakes with raspberries and whipped cream
Mmm. Last year the kids ate everything and loved it. They felt so special and grown up. It was really a lot of fun, and even better than a restaurant could have been, for at least half the price.
Today we probably made about 40 homemade valentines in our house. We were a machine. I have several cute envelopes ready to be mailed to some cousins tomorrow. I wish I could send valentines to all the great kids I know out there. Maybe someday! I plan to make some sugar cookies and neighborhood valentines this week, along with a secret surprise for some of my girlfriends. Hope I have time for my big plans before Thursday.
The kids made me breakfast today. They commandeered the kitchen and asked me what kind of cereal I wanted. Then they got me a banana on a plate (because who wants to touch a mushy banana), and a glass of water. It was a delicious breakfast.
But wait! I digress! Back to my big plans.
I am at a loss as to what to get Jillian for her birthday. I'd really like to get her a new bike, but it isn't quite bike season yet, and it makes more sense to get her a new one when we're settled in our new home. I got her a few small things, but nothing great. She's at that awkward age where she's almost outgrown the littler girl toys, but isn't ready for electronics and the 'tween stuff. I don't want to give up on finding her good gifts, though, because she's only 7! I can't wuss out and go to the gift card now. Wish she liked Star Wars or Legos as much as H. Then it would be easy! We haven't even discussed what cake she'd like, or what we're doing for her special day. I have planned a TIME to have cake and ice cream, though. That's a start, right? She's really excited to pick where we get to sit at church, though. I always say no to the front row and then tell her she can sit wherever she wants on her birthday. Front row, here we come! That should be interesting, since Kara seems to cry and fuss most of the time. Writing this out has made me realize I need to do a bit more planning.
Kara finally rolled over today! She's been sitting up for about 10 days, and is getting quite steady, but I've been waiting for the rolling to begin. It's not easy to hoist almost 20 pounds(or more?? We have the big weigh in next week.) over. She's so cute to watch, because it's certainly not effortless. And there's a look of pleasant shock on her face when she realizes she's on her back again. Not quite as exciting as H's dancing, but still entertaining. Should I post a video of that? Just kidding!
Gotta go plan.
Amy
7 comments:
Wow, your Valentine meal sounds divine! I agree that candlelight can do wonders for children's manners. You're such a cute Mom and are a great planner. Have fun on Jillian's birthday! Wish her a happy bday from us.
You're a rockin' mom, Amy. Thank you so so so so much for the sweet Valentine's present. i confess, my favorite part was the beautiful bag. you are so classy! Love you!
That is a great Valentine's idea, I might steal that. Sydney is now old enough I think she would like it. Tell the kids we said Happy V day!
Way to be creative! Since Chris is on a no-carb diet I wish I was coming to your valentines dinner. But, I do want that dessert recipe. I could make it and eat it all before Chris got home from school!
Yes, you should share the molten chocolate cake recipe on your blog! Yum. The whole dinner sounds amazing. So after I read your post I considered it--for about 2 seconds. My kids wouldn't eat any of it. We'll stick with our original plan--a pizza dinner tonight and D and I will enjoy a night out on V-Day. Our fancy dessert will be pink rice krispie treats shaped like hearts. ;)
Can't wait to hear what you decide for the Bean's bday. Did you mean to put her name?
Hey, as long as you make your dinner with love, it doesn't matter what it is, right? Frozen pizzas have a lot of love in them, I think!
You amaze me. Seriously. It's been so long since I've spent time with you that I forget how extraordinarally (sp?) well you do things.
Post a Comment