keep her safe
keep her happy
keep the mean people away
keep the drugs and sex away
keep her young
keep her happy
In the past few weeks, as we've prepped for middle school (alright, I'll stop capitalizing), we've had to buy things like bras (for modesty more than development) and deodorant. She's learned how to open a locker, change for gym class (brings back the bad memories, huh?), and negotiate changing classes at a new school. She's also asking to borrow my boots (which fit her), wear make-up (lip gloss only), and I'm wondering when I'm going to have to teach her how to shave her legs. Ugh. Anyone found those directions yet??
When she was in second grade and all the powers that be at her elementary school recommended skipping a grade, it seemed like a fine idea. But now that it means being in middle school early, I'm having to take a leap of faith. Rough patches are inevitable at this age, I know, and she seems pretty resilient, but it's still just a little bit difficult.
I'd better savor every moment, though, because soon enough we'll probably be trying on these:
Jillian wearing Aunt Marisa's wedding dress at my parents' house in August.
For those of you with children in middle school/junior high, how is it for you??
3 comments:
I can't imagine Todd being in middle school this year. 5th grade is a big enough challenge. I hope that she has a great school. I know she has great parents who will help her learn to make good choices. Good luck with that. And Jillian's wedding dress picture. . . .scary (but beautiful).
First off, I remember Jillian when she was nursery age and she could talk REALLY well. She was also one of the cutest kids I'd ever seen. It appears that both those qualities continued. She's a smart girl and she has a smart mom. I think that she is well-prepared to handle the challenges.
I don't have a child in middle school, but a friend of mine says that communication is huge. She talks very candidly with her daughter and her daughter actually tells her mom almost everything. Your relationship with Jillian can foster her independence, but also give her security. (I'm nervous for that transition too. Parental handbooks would be a nice thing.)
Jillian tried on my wedding dress?
Post a Comment