Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Practically Imperfect in Every Way

I am feeling my humanity lately. I have had a week or so where I feel like I am barely up to par in most areas of my life. Parenting, body image, spirituality, home cleanliness, organization, all of it. Whew. It's been a little rough. I know you've all been there, so I'll spare you the gory details. I really dislike feeling so down. I also dislike the self talk that goes on in my head. Luckily those moods don't seem to last too long, although I still feel so behind on most everything, and thus inadequate. During this spell I tried to examine the things that were making me feel this way, and then brainstormed ways to feel better. Here's my process:

Not feeling spiritual? Make sure to start the day with a good prayer and a few minutes of meditation, picturing how the day will go and how you will react in certain stressful situations (kids fighting being my numero uno stressor). Try to read the scriptures or an uplifting article early in the day, as well as at night.

Not feeling beautiful? Go shopping. Just kidding. Take an extra minute to choose clothes that will make you feel the way you want to look. Or spend two minutes putting on makeup or jewelry more carefully. Look in the mirror and point out some of your best traits, both physical and personality. Thank your body for helping you do all you want to do. Stretch and breathe deeply. And if you have the money, a little shopping might not hurt!

Not feeling like a good parent? Put everything down and take a breather. And then put everything down again and pick up your child. Sing a song, say a rhyme, read a book, play with them. Dress up and be silly. Throw an impromptu dance party or go to the park and really run. If you're really busy, choose a child to help you work and talk to that child one on one. Or, plan a special activity to do with one or all of your children.

Not feeling like a good homemaker? Wait for school to start again. Until then, it's going to be messy and dirty. C'est la vie! And apparently some day in the future I'm going to miss popsicle spills on the floor, fingerprints on the windows and woodwork, endless small toys migrating to all corners of the house, and laundry that multiplies daily. But try to keep up or you will drive yourself insane. : )

And when you feel like your life is settling back into its rightful place in the universe, try to enjoy it. Because next week you're going out of town again. Whew!

post signature

6 comments:

Michael Family said...

Good advice. You could also eat chocolate. That always helps. But then you might feel fat, so that might backfire.

Joel Deehr said...

Haha @ Marisa.

Polliwog said...

Ah, so very, very true!! Great advice on all counts. I especially loved the reference to little toys in all corners of the house. I am particularly feeling grumpy about that because it is so stinking hard to bend down and pick them up at the moment!! I just crawl around a room and gather them. Very sick of Polly Pockets, Barbie accessories, Pet Shops, hair clippies and elastics and the myriad other accoutrements of girls. Tell me boys are better? (I'm thinking of Legos and guessing NO)

mama bear said...

Thanks for the great advice Amy! It's like I'm reading a post about my own life. I love having fun with my kids, but I'm ready for school to start now.

Britney said...

Ok, I totally need to read your blog, THANK YOU!! I feel like my fighting kids and toy filled house was going to drive me crazy, but I am going to take your advise. You are awesome by the way....have I ever told you that? I am going to miss you again, but hope you have a fun trip. LOve ya!

Katie Stapleton said...

Hey! How did you know how I was feeling today??
Well said!