Sunday, January 2, 2011

Merry Happy Christmas Greetings

Christmas was a whirlwind of winter delights. Or something like that. The highlights for me were the food (mostly the sweets I don't get any other time of year), the family (all of my sibs and their kids and my parents), and the fact I got to sleep in my own bed. Hey, I'm easy to please. I had my quiet moments earlier in the month. Once family arrived, it was a week of fun. It's so great to live in the West and have everyone in my family nearby, although we do miss the Midwestern family on Kyle's side.

On Christmas Eve the guys (plus Jillian) went out to the shooting range. For 5 hours. I was at home with Kara, Kate, my sister, and her little girls. We had a nice quiet time, but I missed everyone! Kyle said it was the highlight of his year (did he forget the birth of his child??) so I'm glad they went. Then we all got back together around 4:30 for dinner, a nativity play, carols, and seeing Christmas lights. There was a bit of panic when my sister realized some presents got left at my parents' home in Spokane, but we made a mad dash to Target and got most of them replaced 7 minutes before the store closed. I was amazed at how many people were still shopping at 6:53 on Christmas Eve. Maybe they were people who don't celebrate Christmas??

Christmas morning was a haze of stockings, abelskievers, wrapping paper, and trash. Lots of trash. I think everyone got what they wanted. I got an iPod Touch, several gift cards, a cute necklace, and some other little things. Santa brought Nerf guns and Wii games, which excited kids big and small. I always have a hard time buying things for Kyle. It seems gifts are not his "love language". I was so happy with myself this year. I got several things to make his office nicer, including canvases of photos he took, a personalized photo desk calendar, and a walnut M from the University of Michigan. He was really pleased and surprised. Success!

The rest of the days sped by, filled with movies, Wii, games, a sledding adventure, and food. Now the tree is dead, dead, dead, and the house is still a mess. The kids go back to school on Tuesday, and the year begins. Guess I'll clean up and move on. But it was a very good Christmas.

Hayden scoping out his target.

Jillian gets in on the action.

Kyle with the AK-47. Apparently he's quite the shot.

Kate earnestly opening a present with help from Uncle Wayne. Then she took a nap.

My cool brother and the kids' favorite uncle -- Joel!

Hayden with his cousin James. They got along so well.

Kara shows off a present on Christmas morning.

Jillian with her new art supplies.
Me and Kyle at my sister's house. She and her husband made an excellent dinner. Her rolls were divine, even with some whole wheat flour.
It was nice to be somewhere else for part of the day.

My older sister Lisa with Baby Kate. We talk on the phone all the time, but see each other only about once a year, so I always love it when we get together.

Hope your holidays were great too! Anyone for a sugar detox?


post signature

5 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

Hey you. Sounds like a nice Christmas! I was hoping to see you on Wed, but the timing just didn't work out. I am definitely up for a sugar detox. I felt so yucky this morning! My birthday is March 20th. That will be my present to myself. Are you in?

Michael Family said...

Christmas was lovely. I hope you get out of that pile of trash.

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

You look great Amy. Sorry we only got to see you for like 5 seconds but we will be back soon. Not that you are pining. Anyway, are you referring to the 5 love languages, the book about them? I have never read that book but would like to in order to speak Scott's "language." I am glad to see that you had a great holiday!!

Amy D said...

Oh, boys and their guns! That is something Clint and his brothers have gotten into in a BIG way this year. Sigh. But it keeps him happy and gives him a chance to be with his side of the family, so I grin and bear it. I even went with them once when we went to the ranch. It was pretty fun :) Happy New Year! I'm glad you could have such a great time with your fam. You're quite the hostess!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! Thanks for all the Christmas fun!