
I'm at that point in mothering a new baby when I always get a bit anxious for the next phase. Right now the phase I am most anxious for is the "sleeping through the night" phase. Last night Kate woke me up at 12:00 (after I went to bed at 11:30), 3am, 5am, 6am, 6:30am, and then Kara woke me up at 6:50am. I didn't need to nurse Kate all of those times, just 3 out of 5. Now, that isn't her typical sleeping schedule, but nights like those are hard after 5 months of waking up at least 2-3 times a night. I always feel more exhausted when my babies are 5 months old then at any other time. I also find it harder to nap during the day now that I have 4 kids. There are just too many things to do. I sometimes get a 5 minute nap. Amazingly enough, it does help. If I could have an entire Saturday to just stay in my bed and sleep, I'm pretty sure I could stay there until mid-afternoon. Easily. If I didn't have more self control I might have a serious caffeine addiction. I limit myself to 1-2 Diet Cokes a week, and really I'd like to stop doing that too. But sometimes I am just so tired. I see photos of myself and think "Wow. I look exhausted."
On the other hand, as Kate grows up I feel sad too, thinking of the "lasts". The last baby to sit up. The last baby to roll over. The last baby to nurse. The last baby to snuggle. She's weighing over 16 pounds now, started on rice cereal, and is such an enjoyable little girl. I know that her first birthday is going to be here too soon. But her sleeping through the night can't come soon enough!
Going to bed now.


9 comments:
Sleeping through the night is the best milestone of all! For everyone! Hang in there! My babies usually start sleeping through the night after I introduce solids. :) It's right around the corner. :)
Sorry she isn't sleeping, that is no fun! I get kind of sad how fast Jordan is growing too. I just really love the baby stage!
Ugh. That is NOT fun. Queenie has been sick and I've pulled several all-nighters with her and it put me in mind of those 'good ole days'. Good luck to you... I'm sure it won't last too much longer--and I doubt you will ever regret wishing the exhaustion away. That's one thing you can genuinely dislike. :)
Sure, she doesn't sleep. But that cute picture at the beginning makes it all worth it.
I just found this cute webstore for baby girs/toddlers' shoes and boots, etc. http://joyfolie.com/ First time in a while I longed for a baby!
Well personally I think you are beautiful all the time :) And it doesn't hurt that your baby is so cute I just want to squeeze her!!
Amy, bless your heart! I'm so sorry you're so tired! You're doing great! I think all the time how spoiled I am that it's been forEVER since I had to wake up with one of our boys in the middle of the night. Nope, not looking forward to that part of having a new baby. Hang in there. She'll be sleeping through the night before you know it!
Losing sleep is the hardest part of parenthood! Hang in there!
I love those photos of you and Kate! You are a brave and dedicated mother of FOUR children --- hats off to you. Our baby turns 5 next week and it is kind of sad to turn the corner of not parenting a toddler anymore. Enjoy your little Kate, but you have a free ticket to complain about her not sleeping!!!
Post a Comment