1. Seek the Good
This comes from the 13th Article of Faith (a tenet of LDS, or Mormon, belief.) I think it's applications are endless and if everyone were to live by it, the world would be a better place. Here it is (in case you can't remember or are unfamiliar with it):
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul -- We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.
I want to post occasionally about the lovely and good things I will find and do this year. One lovely thing this week was a run in the sunshine. For a moment I had a view of the hills and it was just pleasant. I felt gratitude for my body and all the things it can do.
2. Be present in the moment, especially in relationships with those I love.
I am too often ticking items off of my to do list, or thinking ahead to the next task, or looking for ways to occupy my children so I can do other things. I am done doing that. These years are going to go by much too quickly, and I want my children to remember that I was a constant positive presence in their young lives. Kate is already 5 months old! I am blown away by that.
This week I sat down with the kids to play Zhu Zhu pets and Barbies. We all had a great time. Unfortunately they were surprised to have me with them. Yesterday morning I initiated a family Nerf gun war. It was so much fun, but I think it caught Kyle off guard that it was my idea. I am good at checking in with Kyle and letting him talk about his life. I want to extend that more to the kids and to those in my extended family. I know this will be a great blessing in my life. Doing this will also require a sacrifice of my time, but I plan on giving up entertainment like television and other things that don't matter. In fact, I need to finish this post so I can go downstairs to enjoy making cookies and playing games with everyone. I love my family and my role in it!
I also have to make a short comment on the whole issue of body image. I have struggled with my own body image for years, but I think I am pretty much over it all. President Monson's talk about not judging others really helped me because I realized I am much too hard on myself. I have incredibly high standards for myself, and I compare my body to others' on a perpetual basis. I have been able to recognize a few key moments in my growing up that formed these ideas, and I am overcoming them. I do have a goal weight I want to maintain for health and feeling good about myself, but I'm not going to talk much about weight and image anymore (except to let you know when I reach it, because I'll be way too excited to keep it to myself!). I really enjoy dressing nicely and experimenting with fashion, but I don't want to draw too much attention to my outward appearance. A couple more interesting ideas are found here and here.
Couple more quick goals:
run another marathon
do more sewing
have a great garden and flower beds
So there you have it. Amy version 2011. Let's get on with it!
4 comments:
Sewing? You should have been at the craft weekend!
Good for you, Amy! I'm glad you've already found more happiness.
Wonderful ambitions! Enjoy it all!
Those are great resolutions! Thanks for your positive attitude. Love you!
Post a Comment