Today was a chilly Sunday here in Oregon. I feel so wimpy that the 30 degree temperatures make me pile on the layers and crank up the heat. I went running when it was about 26 degrees yesterday morning and was cold for a good two miles. You Michiganders and New Englanders are probably snickering at my thin skin. What has happened to me? I used to run in 8 degree weather (and snow!), and the thought of a 30 degree day was sometimes blissful. December temps here normally run in the mid-40s, and sometimes even that feels cold. There is a chance of snow predicted for later this week and I'm a bit apprehensive at the possibility. How quickly I've acclimated to a more temperate place.
Fortunately for me, we had some fabulous credit and haven't had to pay the gas bill for a few months. I also have this handy dandy switch that turns on a glorious gas fireplace right in my living room. With our tall tree and new stockings (quilted and embroidered from Pottery Barn Kids), I might curl up on the couch with a good book for the rest of the month.
To further my good spirits, Kyle declared that he wants to cook once a week. Yippee! He made a very tasty shepherd's pie (with turkey instead of beef) and some cranberry orange muffins. I played games with the kids while he cooked. I also had a delightful tea party with Hayden and Kara. Hayden served up a most interesting concoction of hot chocolate and Sprite. Mmm?? Then I did the dishes while Kyle and Jillian played together. Oddly enough, they were throwing a football around, then using it to practice volleyball serves.
Earlier in the day, I also took a long winter's nap. Those two hours of reading and dozing were just what I needed. It has been a very busy week (I say that every week) and I like to take that whole "day of rest" thing seriously. The downside was when Bean and Pea attacked me with lightsabers to get me out of bed and one ended up in my eye.
To round out the day we had a giggle fest and some weight training (huh?) while watching the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional this evening. Hearing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing a selection from The Messiah was awesome. I had some good thoughts and feelings about being a Christian and becoming a better person because of the example of the Savior. I'm also going to take all their advice to heart and slow down and enjoy the season. That means you may not be getting a Christmas card from our house. How about a New Year's card?
Stay warm out there this week, if it's cold where you live. We're going to be back up to 46 degrees by Thursday, so I'm sure I'll survive. And I have a garage now, so the frost scraping days are over. See, so much to be thankful for.
10 comments:
We got new stockings this year too (From PB, no less). Did you score them on sale, free shipping, free embroidery? Cuz that's what pushed me over the edge to get them. Also, a friend tipped me that, though they carry them every year, they look a little different. She advised me to plan ahead for future babies. Yikes. So I ended up buying 2 more. (Quite a discussion with D, I must say). Ha ha.
I can also identify with your running in the cold comments. Talli said that this week it was going to be below 30 so we'd better go to the gym. It made me smile when I thought of the 8 degree run with Jan when I felt like I was wearing lingerie. :) I love living in warmer climes!
Glad you had a relaxing day of rest. As for a visit next year, we'd absolutely love to have you crash at our place. Let us know the details. Next time I'm having a rotten day, I'll e-mail you and have you send that list of 7 things I do well.
I'll be thinking of you all this Friday when temps are supposed to feel like -9 during a run! I could really use a Peterson Christmas party this year. I hope we can plan to see you in 2010
I was scraping snow off my car just yesterday!
You are not crazy. 40 degrees IS cold!
I get confused when you call your kids vegetable names but I think i got it now.
Just got our first snows here yesterday, and though it continues to snow very very lightly today, nothing is sticking yet! Yay! It's been a great start to winter!
sounds like the perfect Sunday!
Oh I am oh so grateful for my garage!!! It's been snowing like crazy today and its definitely one of those "flip the switch and light a fire" kind of day! Keep running...don't let the cold stop ya!
Ahhh...makes me want to curl up and read a book by the fire too. Good for Kyle (and you!) that he wants to cook once a week. Lucky you!
Post a Comment