Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Taste of Tuesday - chewy granola bars

My friend and running buddy Sharen made these for me right before our marathon in May. They are delicious and nutritious. I can't wait to tuck them into lunchboxes tomorrow with a little note. My only hint on these is DO NOT over bake them. Watch them very carefully. Because if they are over baked, they are dry. The deliciousness factor goes way down.

Enjoy!

Chewy Granola Bars

Oven: 350 degrees, bake for 25 minutes

Beat together:

1 C brown sugar (I used a little less)
1/2 C maple syrup (I used a little less)
3 T peanut butter (don't reduce)
2 egg whites

Combine:

1 C whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt

Mix wet and dry ingredients together until combined.

Possible add-ins:

1/3 C raisins, craisins, or other dried fruit
1/4 - 1/2 C chocolate chips
1/4 - 1/2 C chopped nuts

Spread into greased 9X13 pan. Press down firmly. Bake. Cool completely before cutting or eating.

I put craisins and chopped white and dark chocolate chips into mine today. You could also put a thin layer of chocolate across the whole pan after they come out of the oven. I can't stop nibbling these. I hope you try them.

In other news, my blog design is going to be done soon. I can't wait to see it! I'm having a great week. I hope you are too.

Amy

4 comments:

ellen said...

I just might try these! Hey -- let's see a bigger picture of the green shirt family!

Megs said...

These look delicious. I never know how to write back when someone asks me a question on my blog so I will just comment on your blog. We did not biuld, but we bought new. They were just about done with the house when we made the offer so the only thing we picked out was our fridge. We are loving being in a home with a garage and a yard (be it a small yard.)

Unknown said...

I am so glad you put this recipe on your blog. I've been wanting to get it from you for some time now, like since May. :)

mama bear said...

yummy! I still need to make the breakfast cookies you posted forever ago, guess it's time to get busy in the kitchen!