Sunday, September 13, 2009

Let the Learning Commence!

I was going to call this post "back to school," but that seemed so unoriginal, so I hope you like my second choice. After eons and eons of waiting, the kids ACTUALLY went to school this week. It was phenomenal. Maybe not so much the getting them on the bus by 7:30am part, but the part where it was quiet and clean all day long. Although, I must admit, I miss my little veggies. Especially Hayden, who started first grade and is now gone all day long. I think Kara missed him too. One morning she played play dough, colored, and painted, all the while asking "Where Haydy? Where Jilly?" I think she'll adjust, and I now have a new goal to have one or two play dates each week for her. We might also do a mommy/baby class somewhere, but I have to get used to all the scheduled activities first. This week we start swimming lessons, soccer, and piano. Jillian is taking lessons, but I'm teaching Hayden at home. I'm not a great pianist, but I can play at his level. : )

Here are a few snaps from the first day.

Our back-to-school feast on Tuesday night. We had some of the kids' favorite foods and then they got their father's blessings. Kara wanted one too and was so quiet and reverent.

Jillian was in charge of the centerpiece.

Two lunches to pack now!

Ready to go on the first day. Jillian was a little nervous to skip to 4th grade, but she seems to like her new classmates and has already made some friends.

Our first grader at his desk.

I love both of their teachers already and I'm sure it will be a great school year.

Amy

7 comments:

rebecca said...

1 at home... I'm right there w/ you! I'm loving the quiet/clean time;)

Unknown said...

Your dinner looked like so much fun! Too cute that Kara wanted a blessing too. I love the centerpiece!

Michael Family said...

Woah, Jillian must be smart. good thing she's tall so everyone will think she should be a 5th grader (by the way, are you smarter than one?) :)

Amy D said...

You're such a cute Mom! A back-to-school dinner?! Wow, I'm very impressed. I hear you about the clean house and quiet while they're gone. We're still adjusting. Sometimes I love it, and other times I really miss my big boys! Your kids are lucky to have you.

Leslie said...

wow that's impressive Jillian moved up!! way to go!

Sweeney Household said...

Oh my goodness! They are so big and so adorable. I always remember Jillian -- she was my favorite nursery kid when I came to the Arl. ward. What beautiful kids you guys have. :)

Sweeney Household said...

Oh my goodness! They are so big and so adorable. I always remember Jillian -- she was my favorite nursery kid when I came to the Arl. ward. What beautiful kids you guys have. :)