Turns out people all over the web dish out their fashion advice and favorite picks on a daily basis. Here are some sites I've been checking out:
Piperlime always has a style guide for the current season. I got their top ten trends for fall email in my inbox. I'm all about the ruffles! Not so sure about plaid.
I get most of my shoes at DSW. Their main page also sports the latest in footwear. I don't have the budget (or the lifestyle!) to splurge on outrageous shoes, but I do like to know what's in so I can make more conservative choices that are still on trend. Case in point? The gladiator sandal. Really in for the summer, but not a style I thought I'd like. I ended up getting a pair (Madden Girl) at TJ Maxx for $25.00 right before I went to NYC. Loved them! I'm hoping they're not out of fashion by next year, because they are so versatile.
Madeline in SLC has a fashion blog I just started following. She has similar tastes to mine, and she is shopping on a budget. In fact, if you email her an expensive outfit that you like, she'll search around and find you the look for less. She also posts deals and coupons for stores (both brick and mortar and online) that can help you get the clothes you want without spending a fortune.
Shade Clothing has a blog (as do many specialty stores). They often post snippets of fashion advice and give previews of their upcoming products.
Reachal Bagley 0f Cardigan Empire is a stylist based in the Mesa area. Although I find her stylized writing somewhat hard to decipher, even for an English Major, she has good ideas and tailors them to fit body types that she defines. I think I'm almost an hourglass. My waist isn't quite small enough, though. She also has cheat sheets and look books that would be a good place to start for those who are not fashion-minded.
And with that, we are off into a whirlwind of fashion, color, texture, fabric, layering, neutrals, and accessories. Whee! I've purchased a few things for my fall wardrobe I'm excited about. I'll end with two outfits I styled this week (complete with prices and brands) and a few fashion tips if you want to get started on your own personal branding.
Shirt: Eddie Bauer Outlet $9
Shorts: Eddie Bauer $20
Belt: Bass $5
Sandals: Guess from DSW $30
Blouse: Old Navy $10
Layering tee: Shade $15
Pants: Eddie Bauer $50
Flats: Me Too from DSW
Bracelet: Handmade tumbled gemstone
Tip #1: If you don't have the budget to go with every trend, pick one or two trends you like. I'm not sure I ever want to wear a pair of skinny jeans (too much thigh!), but I might grab a pair of leggings and try the whole dress-as-shirt look.
Tip #2: Don't spend too much money on trendy clothing that won't be in next season. Spend money for high-quality basic pieces (beauty magazines always list 10 things every woman must own. Examples: white dress shirt, little black dress, trench coat, etc.). Just make sure it doesn't look too cheap, unless you don't care.
Tip #3: If you're not sure how to style things, follow what they do in catalogs, store displays, in magazines, etc. Once you get more confident, you'll be mixing and matching to find your own look.
I know these tips aren't anything new, and they won't make me a fashion editor anywhere, but we're starting with the basics. I'll end with a must have for me this fall and winter. I need to replace my black boots. Here are some possibilities:

Happy Weekend! Still summer weather here, so I'll have to hold off on the new fall clothes until at least next week.
Amy
Tip #2: Don't spend too much money on trendy clothing that won't be in next season. Spend money for high-quality basic pieces (beauty magazines always list 10 things every woman must own. Examples: white dress shirt, little black dress, trench coat, etc.). Just make sure it doesn't look too cheap, unless you don't care.
Tip #3: If you're not sure how to style things, follow what they do in catalogs, store displays, in magazines, etc. Once you get more confident, you'll be mixing and matching to find your own look.
I know these tips aren't anything new, and they won't make me a fashion editor anywhere, but we're starting with the basics. I'll end with a must have for me this fall and winter. I need to replace my black boots. Here are some possibilities:

Amy
10 comments:
Girl, your calves are ripped!
Why thank you, Mandy, I will accept that compliment. I don't wear long skirts very often because I know the lower half of my legs is probably my best feature.
You are one styling mama! Very cute outfits. Fashion has always something I have run from, but perhaps even I could learn a bit here and there.
I too am trying to come into my own style. It has gone from "Hip Mom" to "Classy Mom". You know, trying to look your age, but in a young, cool way. I'm glad you found Reachel, we went to high school together and she is a way cute girl. I can't wait for real fall weather so I can brake out my fun scarves I bought in London!
I have been looking for a floral top like that for months! It's hard to buy when you're coming out of a pregnancy, but now I am weaning and ready to get new clothes. I will have to go to Old Navy soon. :) Kara is so cute. (oh, yeah, so are you!)
I'm sort of a fashion backward, if that exists! I actually had a pair of sandals similar to yours in high school and loved them, I was happy to see them on people's feet again. Love Kara's fairy dress!
so fun! I am excited to see what else I can learn from you, very smart! I like your outfits and for some reason I don't know if I would think of the combos that you did! Can't wait to see what is next! We like haning out with you guys!
Yeah every girl at BYU has gladiator sandals. I even bought myself some skinny jeans. they probably arent skinny as girl skinny jeans but I like them. Dont judge me.
This was a cool post to read and you do look great. :) I'm into my "late 30's" now and it is kind of hard to be fashion-conscious. Last year a gal from church introduced me to Shade shirts and they have been a great addition to my wardrobe. And this week I actually bought my 1st pair of expensive jeans! There are a few things I feel I can justify.
Will you still be my friend if I'm not as hip as you are? :) Maybe you'll have to take me shopping the next time you're in town. Shopping scares me!
Post a Comment