Monday, May 21, 2012

That Was Awkward

I've been having some awkward moments lately.  I thought I'd share some, because there's nothing like making an awkward moment more awkward.  Looking at awkward typed repeatedly is also awkward.

Last week my neighbor (a single older man) came up and told me I needed to tweak my blinds in my bathroom because when his roommates (who are female) open their blinds at night (who does that??), they can see right down into my bathroom.  I just said "um, okay" and walked away.  I've tried to think about what they might have seen, but really, I just don't want to. 

A couple of weeks ago I was helping Kate in a playgroup-type situation (I have to be vague here).  There was a dad and his son playing on the floor, and then another woman playing nearby with a child.  She went to get up off the floor and totally flashed the dad sitting nearby.  I think she forgot she was wearing a skirt.  The dad leaped up off the ground and turned around quickly, pretending to suddenly need to look out the window.  I bit my lip and tried to act nonchalant, but I had to tell Kyle about it later.  So unfortunate!

I keep getting stuck behind people who are going 18 miles an hour in a 25 mile zone.  Or 28 miles in a 35.  I try not to ride their tails, but I keep thinking they are going to speed up.  Then they slow down even more.  Then I slow waaaaaayyyy down, thinking they are going to turn, but they don't.  This is not only awkward, but also annoying.

In my quirky town there are a lot of transient people who beg.  I absolutely hate being stuck at a traffic light by someone with a sign, begging for money.  I try not to make eye contact, because then they will come over to the car, but not being friendly makes me feel mean.  I never have cash on me, and I try to give to organizations that help homeless in constructive ways, rather than giving money directly to people  It's tough.

As I drove down my street the other day there was a man bending over fixing something on his car. He had a good five inches of bum crack showing.  My kids had a hey day pointing it out.  Then, as we passed him, he stood up, hitched up his pants, and looked at us.  Another no eye contact situation!

I was shopping with a friend the other day.  She had to check her phone for a text or something, and she immediately moved away from me and started acting embarrassed.  Apparently her husband, who was out of town, sent her something PRIVATE.  Remind me not to borrow her phone.

I have a long hallway from my front door back to the kitchen/dining/living area.  Our front door has many windows, but we have a blind covering them.  I'm fairly certain that people can't seen in (although I've been wrong about that before), but I can see shadows of people at the door.  We get a fair amount of scammy solicitors in this area, so I try not to open the door.  Instead I lurk behind walls and peer out, waiting to make sure they go away.  But I always have a sneaky suspicion they can see me. 

Kate likes to be with me pretty much every minute of every day.  She will sometimes cry at the door when I am in the shower, and then wants to do every step of my getting ready routine.  She asks for deodorant (which is cute!) and always wants to touch my bum (which is not).

Sometimes life is just awkward.  It's definitely gotten better as I get older, but I still find myself in silly situations.  Luckily I've learned to laugh at most of them.  Anything awkward happen to you lately?

post signature

6 comments:

Cheri said...

This is such a fantastic post. Hilarious! Every incident. I, of course, have questions....but I totally get needing to be vague. And I love that it ends with your little one touching your bum - even the wording is awkward. I LOVE IT! Thanks for the smiles and giggles after a pretty rotten, terrible, no good day!

Michael Family said...

Thanks for posting. I got several good laughs out of that! Way to be awkward. My awkward moments come when Anne tries to poke me and says, "Mom, these are your big bubbles!"

Steph said...

Most of my awkward moments come when I say something stupid. Still trying to grow out of that one.

Britney said...

My 11 year old nephew would come up and sit RIGHT next to me when I would be nursing my baby. Akward! I would use my eyes to tell Rex to have him move :)

Mandie said...

That's funny! I have so many awkward moments it is starting to feel normal. I ran into an old high school buddy at Connor's graduation. This guy I used to know was sitting by a cute mom and so I asked if that was his wife. He said "no!" kind of mean. I guess she was his sis in law. Anyway, she gave him a "gee thanks!" look. I felt bad that he was mean so I said, "oh, I was going to be impressed because she's cute!". They both gave me an awkward look. I guess he's not married. It was weird.

Mandy said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with an abundance of awkward moments!