Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Oregon Love

When I first moved to Oregon almost four years ago, I saw several cars with the same vinyl sticker.  It was the shape of Oregon with a green heart in the middle.  I thought I'd never love Oregon enough to have one of those on my car.  
Heart Oregon Sticker

Now that I've been here for awhile, I think I might love Oregon enough to get a sticker.  Sure, there are things that are hard, like the rain and the counterculture, but the rain makes everything green and lush.  I have calla lilies growing in my yard.  They grow so easily and are so beautiful.  Hydrangeas flourish, berries abound, and there are countless trails, hikes, waterfalls, rivers, and even a coastline to explore.

Not too shabby, my state.  We saw a good part of it this weekend on excursions to Portland, Florence, and Oakridge.  Here are some snaps:

 Kate loved the canoe ride.  She didn't want to get out.

 These two are looking more and more alike!

 Hayden learned to kayak, jumped off dunes, and got a big patch of sand in his hair.  He also got to wear a wetsuit.  It was only 55 degrees that day, so he needed it!

 The view of the private sand dunes from the dock.  Our friends were so kind to invite us up to their lake house.  We had, as usual, a great time.

 On Monday we went with some different friends to explore a new area.  We found a campsite and had a picnic.  Then we lost all the kids in the woods.  They were gone!

 See, poor Kate wasn't fast enough to catch them.

 The view from the campground

 Kate loved riding in the backpack.  We stopped and threw rocks in the river on our hike.  Always a good time.
 The kids.
 Me and my friend Janalyn.  My hair looks weird.
 Another view of the river.

 Kyle and Kara coming through the ferns.  I love the lush forests here.


 We ended our adventure with salmon-themed mini golf at a fish hatchery.  Can't beat that!  Then we went home and had a fun bbq.  What a great weekend.  What a great state for outdoor fun. 


post signature


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I heart Oregon too. mini-golfing at a fish hatchery, eh? How high end!

Michael Family said...

Fun times! I think you are too classy to have a bumper sticker, even if you do love Oregon. Or maybe a static sticker would be acceptable. It's easily removable. :)

Mandy said...

Great. Now I'm homesick. Seriously....fish themed mini-golf. Awesome.

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

I love Oregon too and miss it already (even though it has only been one week). But in another year we will be back for-eva. In Eugene. So excited!

Sweeney Household said...

Get a sticker! Your photos and your descriptions of Oregon sound wonderful. I'm partial to the Northeast, but I'd love to see the Northwest. :)

(I swore I'd never put a "Look Where I Graduated" sticker on my car ---- but after graduating from Tufts I did for awhile! Now I just have a firefighter sticker and let me tell you that is a good sticker to have. It's saved me from a couple of traffic violations.)

SusieQ said...

A. I think your hair looks cute in that picture!
B. Where did you go for the hike? It looks fun.