Monday, November 15, 2010

Love Is Elementary

Today Jillian told me about a problem she's been having. A boy named Finn (short for Finnegan, I'm told) has been following her around and trying to sit by her. If there is ever an empty seat on the bus by her he claims it, even if she tells him she's saving it for her friend. (Then she told me she just gets up and moves when that happens. We had a nice chat about being friendly.) I explained to her that this boy probably likes her and is trying to figure out ways to be around her and talk to her, not bug her. She looked perplexed and I felt so happy in my heart. You see, my little girl DOES NOT LIKE BOYS YET! This is very, very good news. Because she is so pretty. A total boy magnet. (See photos below) I'm always happy when she still acts like boys are nuisance. I breathe a big sigh of relief. I wasn't that way. I liked boys at an early age. In high school I was a flirt. I'm ashamed to admit that now, but it is true. Coincidentally, my sister Lisa ran into the mom of my first grade school "boyfriend" this weekend. His name is Chris. He's married and has three kids now. At the school carnival in 2nd grade he made me a button that said "I love you. Love, Chris" and for Valentine's Day he bought me peanut M&Ms. He was one of the best boyfriends I've ever had.

Hayden informed me that his class has a new rule. No kissing and no boyfriends and girlfriends. He's in 2nd grade. I smiled when I heard that. Jillian said it was disgusting that 2nd graders were trying to date. Then Hayden said he was waiting until high school to have a girlfriend. I am trying to persuade him to wait until college. We'll see how that goes.

As our discussion ended, I repeated the sage advice my mom gave me in 2nd grade, when she was trying to discourage my relationship with Chris. "Amy, it's better to just like everybody the same. Just be friends with everyone." Great advice for elementary love. I could have used a bit more of that advice in high school!



post signature

5 comments:

mama bear said...

way to go Jillian! I have to admit, I was more like you Amy. Kody is in 1st grade and apparently there is some sort of kissing tag war game going on. Yikes!!

Joel Deehr said...

How can you remember stuff that long ago? Yeah you were always a man-magnet.

Michael Family said...

I, too, was relieved to find out that James thought kissing was gross, and has no interest in girls yet. Yay! Katie has the same dress Jillian is wearing.

Amy D said...

Hee hee. Jillian is gorgeous, so there's no wonder she's having to fight them off at such a young age. Keep at it, Jillian!

Britney said...

You are right, she is a pretty girl and she has great hair. She must follow in her mamas beautiful footsteps. I can't wait to hear the stories about boys from her in about 5 years ....:)