Friday, August 27, 2010

Tales of Kate the Great


I think Kyle is watching "Snakes On a Plane" on cable. Wow. Could there be a lamer movie? Lest you think our weekend nights are that crappy, we did go out for a great dinner at a new swanky Italian restaurant. And I didn't clean any bathrooms tonight. That's a step up from the last few weeks.

Oh, I just verified that Kyle was actually watching a few minutes of "Scorpion King", which is just as lame.

Kate is great. I had one excellent night of sleep this week, and I am hoping there are more to come. We took some casual photos one night while Kyle was away, and I realize I look very tired and very pudgy. But that's to be expected, right? Here's one that Jillian took. She kept cutting off my head. It was funny.

Kyle thought it would be funny to give Kate the remote one night while she was sitting on the couch. Here's that photo.
But the joke was on him when he tried to take it back. She had her newborn grasp on it and didn't want to give it up. She's a quick learner.


Kate's sisters love her very much. Her brother loves her too, but he wasn't in the mood for cuddling on the grass. I think he was off having a fit about something, which is what he does most of the time these days. Apparently nothing in life is fair or fun. Who knew.


I'm not really one for poop tales, but this one is quite original, so I'm sharing. You can stop reading this post right now and I won't be offended at all.

I was burping Kate on my shoulder at about 4am this morning when she very forcefully emptied her bowels. I was glad, because I wanted to change her diaper and put her back to bed. I stood up and felt something wet and sticky on my stomach. Somehow she missed the diaper entirely, missed the onesie except for a tiny bit, and launched her poo directly onto me. Her pajamas are those handy-dandy baby bags that you don't have to snap or zip, so that's how the poo had a direct path. Even the baby bag nightgown wasn't dirty on the inside, just on the outside where she rubbed up against me. It was the weirdest thing. The unfortunate part was having to change all my clothes, and most of hers (for good measure) at 4am, and then having her be completely awake due to all the commotion. It even woke Kyle up, which is saying something. But it made me laugh because it was all so weird.

Ah, the newborn stage. Kate was up to 7 pounds, 2 ounces on Monday, so we know this stage won't last long. When we asked the kids to take a guess about what she weighed, Kara guessed "5 pounces" after hearing everyone else's guesses in pounds and ounces. I wish I knew how to convert that. Jillian won a Dairy Queen Blizzard for having the closest guess. Hayden declared this unfair and threw a fit. Are you sensing a trend here? If anyone wants to borrow him until school starts, he is available.

This disjointed post is brought to you by 19 days of little sleep.


post signature

10 comments:

Britney said...

Cute pictures, she is so cute and I believe getting even cuter! I love Hayden, he makes me laugh, but I am sure in the middle of a fit it is not as funny as you write it to be! You are so beautiful and don't look pudgy, you look great!!

mama bear said...

Love the remote picture! Oh, I miss having a newborn to cuddle but I don't miss the poo or middle of the night feedings. I need to meet this little cutie!

Cheri said...

I laughed all the way through. Thank you. I needed that as I sit here panting and shaky after hours of Saturday morning yard work. (:

Michael Family said...

I was laughing so hard that I cried at the "5 pounces." Wayne didn't think it was at all funny, but I think it's hilarious. Kate is adorable and tiny! And I can't believe after 4 kids you have never had a poop experience like that. That was a signature James move. He even did that while I was holding him at a pampered chef party. Poop oozed all over my shirt, lap, the chair and the floor. It was disgusting.

Amy D said...

Sounds like life is delightful during these newborn days. Bless Hayden's little boy heart. And I'm just impressed that you're even thinking about cleaning bathrooms while Kate is so tiny. Thanks for the poop humor too. When you've got lots of little boys, there's never enough poop talk to go around.

Mandy said...

Kyle is right. It's funny to give a newborn a remote.

Megann said...

Oh, she is so little and CUTE!!! You should take a trip down to Vegas with her so we can play :)

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

I love your blog. I sneak on here from Britney's and read it. Heh Heh. Britney's right. You do look great.

Unknown said...

Hooray for Amy's wit!

Sweeney Household said...

Loads of love for this little sweetheart. Your kids are so lucky to enjoy brand new Kate. Even without sleep, you are lucky. (Okay, so I'm not the one waking up in the night. But, I love babies.)