Saturday, August 7, 2010

Kids say funny stuff



Last night Kyle and I were having an animated discussion about whether kids should be forced to do sports and athletic activities. He wants Jillian to pick an athletic activity (not necessarily an organized team sport) and do it on a regular basis. I say she tried volleyball and put forth a good effort, but if she doesn't want to continue with athletics, it's okay. She's talented in many other ways and I know she'll get enough exercise with swimming lessons, riding her bike, hikes, PE at school, occasional runs, etc.

Anyway, we paused our discussion to put the kids to bed. After we resumed our talk, I could hear someone listening in the hallway. Hayden came back into the room and sat on the couch. He said something like this:

"I just can't go to bed. You're fighting about something very interesting. I'm on the side of whoever's right. I just don't know who's right yet."

Then Jillian came back into the room and the four of us discussed all sides of the issue. It was actually kind of fun, seeing the kids try to debate intelligently about a topic that interested them. I'm sure it's a scenario that will repeat itself a lot over the years. I just read in a book that if your kids are arguing with you (especially teenagers), it means they value your opinion and are more honest with you.

And just so Hayden knows, I'm right.

Stay tuned for posts about the two new additions to our family. Here's a pic of me -- full term!


post signature

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked that story. hayden's a smart boy, and you are often right, but so is kyle. :)