Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Retrospect

I should have tried harder to resist sweets and fatty treats while I was pregnant. I ate pretty much whatever I wanted, especially the last couple of months. Now I'm realizing that working off 33 pounds is harder than I thought. I lost 15 fairly quickly, but have been sitting at the same weight for about 2 weeks. Everyone keeps telling me it will come off in time, but I am skeptical. After I had Hayden I lost all but 10 pounds and then started gaining it back. Yikes! So I have started exercising 3 times a week. This week I will bump it up to 4 times if I can squeeze in that many workouts. I don't really feel like I can diet, but I am definitely cutting back on sugar and trying to avoid saturated fat. After Kara I lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks and didn't gain as much to begin with, so things were pretty easy. Now even my fat pants aren't fitting well! Any words of advice or tips on how to lose weight while nursing? I know most people lose weight easily, but my body seems to cling to the fat. But I have a very hard time not feeling my best. If I lose about 10 pounds most of my clothes will fit.

Let me say that I know some of you will be rolling your eyes and saying "give it time" (because that's what Kyle does), but I am getting a little nervous because my weight hasn't budged at all in 10 or so days even though I've been conscious about what I eat. Sigh. This is the life of a woman, huh? My skinny husband just doesn't get it.

Off to do sit-ups . . .


post signature

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm. No fun to not feel good about how you look, because it's with you all the time. I think if you're eating well (which I know you do), and starting to exercise, your body will do what it needs to. Not much comfort for the fat-clinging body you're experiencing right now though. I think you know best of all what your body needs.

ellen said...

don't you have a brand new baby?! :)

wait til you get the menopot in a few decades. it's awesome.

Britney said...

Ok, you DO look good and your body is getting used to exersizing again. Add muscle toning and weights too, it will rev your metoblism. I used to do squats with macey in the middle of the night wheh she "had" to be held. Add don't stress, it will come off, but it is frustrating at the same time. You look great and you have 4 beautiful children. I agree, skinny husbands don't get it....

Joel Deehr said...

Do p90x. Seriously. Its awesome. And drink spinach smoothies. I eat a whole blender of spinach smoothies every day. They are really good. its just half spinach, half other fruit, and tastes pretty good. I dont eat sweets anymore because the smoothies satisfy any craving like that. You do that and you will be the hottest mom in the neighborhood.

Cheri said...

I ditto Shauna. Your body probably needs that weight for nursing right now. My motto is "nine months of weight gain, nine months of weight loss." Take it easy. Don't wear yourself out. You are nursing AND sleep deprived. I wouldn't add more stress to your body and mind. You are beautiful. Buy a new pair of pants and relax for a bit. If it helps maybe set a goal that when she is four months old you will start your weight loss plan?

Or just pray that you will be able to accept how your body is right now. You are a healthy person and that's what matters!

Michael Family said...

It's ok. I know it is not fun to feel chubby, but I bet it will be easier to lose the weight once you've weaned. You're an active person who eats right, so I think it will all fall into place once you're done nursing. And spinach smoothies. Sounds yucky. Joel will have to make one for me sometime.

jan said...

SLEEP! and enjoy that baby for a little while. You are so funny.

Amy D said...

I just have to laugh at Ellen's comment--the "menopot". Hilarious. Amy, don't worry about it. You look great and your baby is still so tiny. Knowing you, it will be off in no time. Just enjoy snuggling that sweet baby of yours. I don't think she cares how skinny you are :)

Emily said...

Congrats Amy! What a sweet baby to celebrate. I would echo Cheri's thoughts. As far as tips, one thing that always helps me to lose weight while nursing is simply spacing out carbs throughout the day. Only one serving (25 carbs) per meal & snack. Eat lots of protein. Around 50-75 grams per day. That'l do the trick. :)