Thursday, August 12, 2010

Practically Perfect

This post has been a long time coming. Who knew being a mother of four would take up so much time? Um, I did. But our final baby is finally here and I couldn't be happier about it. I was a little worried about spreading the love to three girls. Luckily Kate is completely adorable and I am smitten already.

There is not much to say about the delivery. Hooray for that, because I've had my share of drama in the delivery room. We got some pitocin going around 8am Monday morning, took a nap, walked around, sat on a birthing ball, played cards, upped the pitocin every 20 to 30 minutes, got an epidural that halfway worked, and got a baby. All in 8 hours! I was hoping to get to a 6 or 7 before getting the epidural, but after 6 hours of pit I was only at a 4. The contractions were pretty intense, so I decided to go for the epidural. Within about 75 minutes I was at a 6-7, and 15 minutes after that I was complete. That was a weird feeling. I remember telling the nurse "Ooohhh, I think she's ready, but I'm not." That's when the nurse said "A ha, that's how we know you're ready to push." And sure enough, 2 contractions later she was born. Can I tell you how awesome that was? Even with Kara I had to push for 40 minutes. The doctor was on her way to an emergency c-section, so I'm glad it was fast. They had me hold her for a whole hour to do some skin-to-skin bonding. It was a little messy, but a great calm time for us. Then they weighed and measured her. She was 6 pounds 9 ounces. That means Cheri wins the contest! I'll be sending her a flower pin in a few weeks. She is 19 inches long. Jillian weighed 6.8 and they look very similar as babies.

The kids were all beyond excited to come meet her. It's funny, though, how adding kids to a hospital room somehow makes me go crazy. I'm glad my Mom was here to watch them and see Kate. They came and visited me 2 times in the 24 hours I was there. We got some good pictures.

Kate Michelle got her name just a few minutes before we left the hospital. The other option was Marianne Kate, which Kyle still prefers, but now that we've been calling her Kate I think it fits her very well. Michelle is my middle name and I've always wanted to pass along one of my names. She is sweet and pure and beautiful. She loves to snuggle with everyone. She snuggled right up to Kyle in bed and it was just the cutest thing. I'm so glad to have a baby in the house again, even if I'm not getting much sleep. I know I need to savor these days because they will go by quickly.

Here are some photos to enjoy. Thanks so much to everyone for your well wishes! We are so happy she's here. I think my blood pressure will return to normal in a few weeks and that everyone will be healthy and well.

Rocking the birthing ball and listening to Wicked. This is obviously between contractions.

Right after she was born. So fun to snug. Hey, I don't look half bad!


Big Sis #1

The lone brother

Brand new big sis

Grandma K with Baby K

The whole family

Three days old -- cleaned up and with a bow!
post signature

19 comments:

Megs said...

Loved this post. So happy for you guys. I hope by reading this it will get my baby in gear to make an appearance soon!! I am so ready. You look great in the pictures and I am so happy for your family.

Joel Deehr said...

Way to go. Youre done.

Amy D said...

Amy, she's absolutely adorable! I'm thrilled for you. Now you're a family of SIX!!! I wish I were there to snuggle her too--and cook you dinner!

Michael Family said...

I want to snuggle her! She is so cute! Congrats, glad all went well.

Britney said...

I love all the pictures and you look so great already! I am happy for your family, what a great week!! I love holding her too, newborns are so sweet!

mama bear said...

Wow Amy, you look great! I never look that composed after bitrh. Kate is just perfect, and I love her name. Congrats, I can't wait to meet her!

Sweeney Household said...

She's adorable & we love the name Kate! (That was Conor's name if HE would have been a SHE.) Everyone looks so cute together on your hospital bed. What a beautiful family. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Cheri said...

Congratuations!! I'm so happy the delivery went well. 3 things shocked me:

1. How good you look after delivery. WHAT?!? How can this be!?


2. The picture of your mother. Whoa. Let's just say you are your mother's daughter.

3. I guessed right. Really, this may be the most shocking of all. Maybe you didn't get the memo - but I don't win things! (:

Your little sweetheart is beautiful and I love her name!
Congratulations again!

Ken and Amy said...

Congrats on sweet Baby Kate! She's a cutie. Good luck adjusting to 4 kiddos. Wish I was closer to bring you some Ben & Jerry's!

Polliwog said...

Huge congratulations!! I only wish you would have waited one more day ... but then you would have had to name her Emily ;)

You look beautiful, she looks beautiful ... how fun.

And her name is gorgeous. I wanted Kate, but since Dave's brother used it, I suppose it's out of the running.

Good luck in the next few weeks! I hope she's a sweet one.

Polliwog said...

Huge congratulations!! I only wish you would have waited one more day ... but then you would have had to name her Emily ;)

You look beautiful, she looks beautiful ... how fun.

And her name is gorgeous. I wanted Kate, but since Dave's brother used it, I suppose it's out of the running.

Good luck in the next few weeks! I hope she's a sweet one.

Erin Gong said...

Congratulations! I'm so glad everything went well.

Melissa said...

Congratulations! Good choice on the name. Hope all is well, and take care of yourself. She's a doll. Makes me miss having a newborn. Sorta. ;)

Angie said...

She is so adorable! Congrats on a beautiful baby and an awesome story. So excited for you.

Steph said...

She's beautiful! I love the name. What a blessed girl to be born into your family.

lisa criddle said...

Yea! You did great! I love her name. Wish I was there to help.

Courtney said...

Congratulations Amy! The family looks wonderful.

Barb: said...

Congratulations! What a cute baby and great family!

Leslie said...

congrats amy!!! she is so beautiful!! and dang I've NEVER seen a mom look that good right after having a baby. I guess by the forth time you've got it down. :)