Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring Break -- In Pictures

Since Oregon is known (by me, at least) as The State That Sends Children To School the Least Amount of Time (gratuitous use of capital letters intentional), we have the longest spring break on record. What began on Saturday, March 20th, is still going strong eight days later. You might think the children would go merrily on their way back to school tomorrow, but you'd be wrong. In fact, they have ONE MORE DAY of spring break. A last hurrah, you might say, after many hurrahs. So this post will be as long as our spring break has been. Going back is going to be a bit rough. Hayden and Kara didn't wake up until 9am today, and the bus comes at 7:30am on Tuesday morning. Ugh.

We started of the weekend with Hayden's 7th birthday party. Easiest ever. Cake and pizza from Costco. Wii and Xbox for the boys. He was thrilled, they all had fun, and I totally chilled during the festivities. I hope he wants a video game party every year for the rest of his life.

Xbox was downstairs, with Wii upstairs. 4 boys at each made for easy playing.

Hayden with all his buddies and his cake. (Basketball for March Madness!)

He was kind of sick on Sunday, his actual birthday, so we canceled his dinner with family and just relaxed. He opened presents and built Legos, then had his hot dog dinner.

On Monday we left for our short tour of Oregon. We headed to Florence, then Heceta Head, then Newport, then Tillamook, then Portland. It was a great fun-filled three days. The weather was spectacular. We made it home just in time for the rain. I'm so glad Kyle was willing to take the time off (he's swamped right now) and that I was feeling well.

The girls on the pier in Florence.

Kyle and Hayden go go cart racing.

Kyle passes Kaly on an inside turn. We hung out with some good friends for the day.

Whale watching just north of Heceta Head. We saw so many whales in 25 minutes! It was awesome. Here are the kids looking happy.

Kara loved the beach. She didn't seem to mind the cold at all.

After a night in Newport and a great morning at the tide pools, we drove up the coast to Tillamook to pay homage to our favorite cheese. Yum! The slicing process was engrossing.

Kara really wanted this cow to be real.

We ate at The Cheesecake Factory and spent the night in Portland. The next morning we hit the zoo bright and early. Jillian fed the lorikeets and was so happy one landed on her hand.

I was on this trip. Hiding my belly behind my purse, apparently.

Then we went to OMSI (science museum) where I became too tired to take pictures. But I freaked myself out by studying the prenatal exhibit of preserved fetuses. Wouldn't really suggest that for pregnant people. Jillian was a little grossed out too.


When we returned home, it was time to clean the house and put together Kara's big girl bed. So sad. But she loves it and stays in it, so it's good. And now we can work on being dry at night.

Bed frame: Ikea. Mattress: Costco.

She's just pretending to be asleep. She's using the bedding I got for Jillian when she was about three. So nice to reuse things. The crib is on the other side of the room. I think I'll just leave it up. Less than five months until we'll need it again.


Today we took pictures in our new Easter clothes, but I'm going to save that post for Tuesday. I hope you have happy and fun spring breaks wherever you are, and that some lovely weather comes your way! We have rain, rain, and more rain scheduled this week. I just planted lettuce, spinach, and garlic, so I hope my little seeds don't wash away in the deluge.

Oh, one more thing. I got my hair cut! It had been five months and it was driving me crazy. It turned out cute. I should take a photo soon.

post signature

9 comments:

mama bear said...

I know, what it up with a month of Spring Break?! We had the same days, and I'm wondering why we didn't plan a little get together? Man, I have got to get with it!

Megann said...

I LOVED the T. cheese factory! I never got bored watching those little boxes of cheese go down the conveyor belts :) Hooray for mini vacations!!

Michael Family said...

I want to go to Tillamook! I love their cheese. Looks like you guys had fun, and I'm happy Kara got a new bed. :)

Mandy said...

Seriously? He's seven? Next thing I know he'll be 19! So sad we missed you over spring break . . . next time for sure!

Ken and Amy said...

Oh honey...if you think your spring break is long.....try a 2 week spring break from March 20-April 5! I have that L-O-N-G spring break to look forward to every year from now on. It's driving me crazy!!!!!!!

Your trip up the Oregon coast looked like lots of fun! I love Newport (my aunt has a beach condo there, so maybe one day we'll have to meet there!).

Ronna said...

Amy, speaking of spring breaks, we are coming to Portland for ours. I would love to stop by and see you guys. Luke has the 12th-18th off so we are coming around that time. I can't remember what town you are in but if you are around let me know and we could come visit. About how far away are you from Portland anyway???

Maren Hansen said...

My sis lives in Portland, so we have been to OMSI a few times. The first time I saw the fetus display, I too was pregnant. Yikes--not only disturbing but not a great pairing with pregnancy hormones... Yay for Tillamook! I got addicted to their medium cheddar 20 years ago when I live in Seattle and have been SO happy to see it's availability extending across the nation. Go Tillamook Coop Cows!

Amy D said...

What a fun-packed spring break trip! If only you weren't so darn far away, we'd love to come up and do some of those awesome activities. Happy birthday to Hayden!

Polliwog said...

I am jealous of the husband taking time off. We spent ours at home ... boo! Maybe next year --

You always were a planning, fun-loving, Mother of the Year, though, as I recall!