Sigh.
I am emotionally drained. Yesterday was kinda bad and I self-medicated with M&Ms, popping them like Valium, hoping for some reprieve from the swirl of emotions and thoughts raging through my body and mind. Thoughts like: How can I get a job? When does school start again? Do I know of any good summer boarding camps? Now I know why some mothers choose to start drinking before noon. And, why was I considering getting pregnant again? You see, my children have not been their best selves lately, and it's taking its toll on me. I love them all dearly, I do, I do, and I know that they are just children, still learning, still growing, very much imperfect (like their mother). Sometimes they are darling, adorable, funny, smart, loving little beings and I just can't get enough of them. Not so much as of late. Case in point:
The middle one has always been a little prone to angry fits. Gets it from his father. I know this because Kyle's family tells me often about how CRAZY angry Kyle got as a child. Great. Thanks for that. Sometimes Hayden is good and keeps things in check. Not lately. He gets angry quickly, screams shrilly, (That word looks weird, but spell check isn't calling me on it, so I think I'm good.), and shouts such delightful things as "I hate you!" "Dumbhead!" "You're stupid!" "Idiot!" and the like. Yesterday he shouted "I hate you!" at least three times. He's said it enough that Kara is picking it up. After every child ruined every other child's sidewalk chalk creation and Jillian had the audacity to write "Hello my name is Haydumb", they all got sent to their rooms for timeout. Not Kara, exactly. She got sent to my room to watch tv. I was watching the clock, waiting for Kyle to walk in and help me discipline. At 5:32, just the time he should have been waltzing in the door to plant a kiss on my freshly-powdered cheek (because you know I'm all 1950's like that -- not!), he called to say he lost track of time and hadn't left yet. Excellent. So I had to remove the children from timeout to eat dinner without Dad, discuss their behavior, and try to remain calm. At this point I had neither yelled at nor hit anyone, so I was actually feeling kind of good. Then a tug of war match with an object I told Hayden to put down ended in a shower of tomato soup on Hayden's head, the floor, the wall, the cabinet, and anything else in sight. The mug was also shattered. And yet, I did not yell. I did not hit. I calmly cleaned everything up, got Hayden some new soup and a new shirt, and served dinner with pursed lips. The FHE movie night was cancelled and the kids were put to bed early, with a resolve to have a better day today.
Which we did, for the most part. I felt like I did a good job of providing fun and quality activities for the kids. We spent a lovely 2 hours picnicing at the park. They went to a class this morning about the tropical rain forest. We picked beans and peas from our garden. Hayden got in timeout again for fighting and pinching Jillian, but it was a good improvement over yesterday. Then I had to go to a church meeting. Unfortunately Kyle got distracted by the All-Star baseball game and was late with baths, bed, and all that routine. When I came home at almost 9pm no one was in bed. Sigh. As I was finishing up some stuff and helping kids clean up, Jillian and Hayden started to play some hitting game. I told her to stop and go get the scriptures out, but she didn't listen. A few seconds later I heard a scream. The game escalated (as it always does), and Hayden threw a hard object at Jillian's face. It cut her lip and popped one of her brackets off of her braces. I did yell, but I didn't spank or hit Hayden. I firmly escorted him to bed and took away the Wii for the rest of the month. Later I went in to talk to him about what we can do about his anger and reactions. We set up a code word that I'm going to use when he acts out, with the hopes that it will remind him to calm down and have nice things come out of his mouth. I said a prayer with him and tucked him in. Then I talked to Jillian about not aggravating Hayden with hitting or teasing games. We've had this talk a lot. I said a prayer with her and left.
And now, here I am. Feeling like a failure. Feeling like all the tasks I have to do in life don't leave me time to be good at much. Feeling like I should not have to supervise every minute of my children's lives for them to get along. Wanting to be a good parent. Hoping that underneath it all they are good kids. Knowing deep down that they are great kids. We've had a busy couple of weeks with lots of guests and inadequate sleep. Probably they haven't been getting the attention they need. Probably this is just how kids are sometimes. Definitely dark chocolate would help the situation, but I'm abstaining for today. Too many M&Ms yesterday.
Tomorrow is another day. A Wii-free day, as a matter of fact. A day in which I will try, again, to be a good parent.
56 days until school starts, but who's counting?
Amy
13 comments:
I so get what you're saying because I've felt the same way. You sound much more patient than I though. My kids end up on their beds a lot sooner and until I can think straight. You seem to keep it together for miraculous periods of time:):)
Enjoy your dark chocolate!
Sounds like you're normal! There isn't a mom in the world that hasn't had a thousand days like yours! Hang in there.
I loved this post!! Not because you had a crappy day, but it makes the rest of us know that everone has bad days and that we will too survive so thanks for posting. I only have one little guy at home but we still have our moments and I can't imagine how we'll both make it out alive but you do and you learn.
Here's to today being better. Even if it is just a little bit better. I am all about baby steps :)
Glad you are back blogging.
I have to admit I was waiting for the part when you broke one of their arms and had to take them to the ER and explain really what happened. Amy, you are a great mother and have great children. I think kids have PMS too sometimes, and it can wear on their mom. I think you handled each situation very well, so don't even think you are a failure!
We have a problem with video game playing at our house too. But, I'm not as creative when it comes to kids projects, as you are so the game gets played a lot.
Hang in there, school will come faster then you think, and then you will be sad summer is gone!
Hey, you ARE normal . . . and so are your kids! I'm sure it will be my turn for one of those days next . . . it's been a while.
Great, it doesn't sound like this parenting thing gets any easier. We have had many days like that, like yesterday when both kids were put to bed kicking, screaming, and crying. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. But, I do have to tell you that Sydney said she is so excited to see her cousins! We can't wait to see you.
I feel your pain. Sounds like you might need a little mommy time... And personally, I approve of self-medicating w/chocolate, though I go for the pricier Swiss chocolates, like Lindt... :) Hugs & kisses your way and may your next week(s) be an improvement.
I completely understand your feelings because we are having similar behavior at our house. I am feeling really warn out. In fact, I ate a couple handfuls of M&Ms today, and now that I have read our post and Ben is still not home, I want more. Good luck with the rest of your summer.
I was just thinking today that I can't wait for James to start kindergarten, mostly for the exact same reasons. I also have to try VERY hard not to hit or yell. Hang in there Amy!
Ughh. You have described my last two weeks exactly. I have not been able to refrain from hitting, and actually yelled "shut up" to Andrew about an hour ago. The constant whining makes me ballistic. I am feeling awful, but am not exactly sure how to end it. The days I am extremely patient and consistent with everything, and plan fun activities, the behavior hardly seems to be different. Aye carumba!
Good luck to both of us!
Hey, you handled things a lot better than I think I would have. Hang in there!!!
I can so relate to your bad day! Sorry I wasn't here to read it when it actually happened, but please know how great I think you are and how great your kids really are. Hang in there.
I"m sorry that you have days like that. I have no doubt that every parent does. It sounds like you handled it all beautifully though. Good luck with the rest of the summer. Are there more classes you can put them in to keep them busy?
Post a Comment