Tuesday, July 7, 2009

All Hands On Deck

We built a deck this weekend. By "we" I mean Kyle, my Dad, my brother Joel, and my brothers-in-law Wayne and Jonas. I was mostly support staff, although I did a bit of manual labor. Hey, someone had to watch the kids, bring out snacks, refill water bottles, make fruit smoothies, take lunch orders, etc. The unfortunate thing about the deck building was that it took place during the heat wave that hit our fair city. It was about 95 degrees for three days straight. And then, when the deck was done, the temperature oh-so-conveniently lowered to a pleasant 73. I think we might have gotten the step platform and built in bench started if the weather had been more cooperative. But I'm satisfied with what we accomplished, and I'm excited to decorate my new outdoor space, just as soon as we save up some money to do it. Here are some photos from our first major building adventure as homeowners.

Figuring out the ledger board which we attached to the foundation of the house. Tricky stuff.

Jillian was a very popular person when she brought out the snack tray.

Jillian helped Grandpa measure and stuff.

Digging holes for pier blocks. Getting those things level took about 5 hours, I swear.

A ha! Finally, something that is beginning to look like a deck.

Getting ready to lay the decking boards. This was the fun part.

Final touches -- sawing off the edges and making everything look nice.

The tough work crew. They all did a great job. I hope they had fun, too. Is it possible to have fun when it's that hot?

Wow. Doesn't that look nice? A brand new cedar deck. It was christened with and orange soda spill and my niece peeing on it within 24 hours. Can't wait until it dries out so we can seal it!

Thanks so much to Dad and Joel for all the hard work. I don't think we could have done it without you! The finished deck looks really good. The wood is so pretty. I'll have to try to get a better picture. It's so nice to have somewhere to sit while we're outside. Can't wait to get a grill and entertain there. And after the work was done, we played! But that's a later post.

Amy

8 comments:

Joel Deehr said...

I loved those snacks.

Unknown said...

Your blog picture of your three kids is soooo cute! Really shows their personalities. yeah for the deck! it's nice that you can use that space for something useful now.

Michael Family said...

What??? Amy blogged about a bodily function? someone must be rubbing off on her. Sorry about Katie peeing. I love your pic on the top of the blog!

Angie said...

Congrats on the new deck! That's awesome. I can't wait to see more pictures of it and see how you decide to decorate it.

Kierstin said...

Wow!! Talk about your backyard projects! That makes Shade Sails look like cake. It is so nice when family is there to contribute free labor.

Also, very impressive group run. Sounds like a fun trip. I can't wait to start running again.

Kierstin said...

Wow!! Talk about your backyard projects! That makes Shade Sails look like cake. It is so nice when family is there to contribute free labor.

Also, very impressive group run. Sounds like a fun trip. I can't wait to start running again.

Ken and Amy said...

That's hard work when it's 95 degrees outside!!! Enjoy the sunshine as you sit on your new deck.

It was fun reading about your race and seeing pics of old friends.

Amy D said...

Wow, that looks great! Congrats on the new deck. It was fun to see a picture of your Dad too. I love your new patriotic picture of your kids up top too. Would you relax now on the projects so the rest of us don't look toooooo bad?