Friday, July 17, 2009

Fresh Corn Salad


No picture of this yet, since I'm making it on Sunday, but I'm getting the recipe to you so YOU can make it this weekend and tell me if you like it. I find it refreshing and delicious. I think I made this one up from an adaptation of another corn salad. But I could be wrong. If I'm not giving you credit for the recipe you gave me, feel free to shame me into giving you the glory. Bon appetit!

Fresh Corn Salad

5-6 ears of fresh sweet corn, par boiled (that means cooked half way until just tender) and cut off the cobs
1 medium tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced (don't add until just before you serve!)
2/3 C diced jicama
1/4 C finely chopped cilantro
1/2 C finely chopped red onion

Combine all ingredients in bowl (except avocado) and toss lightly. Then add a bit of dressing and toss again. Chill in refrigerator for an hour or two. Check to see if more dressing is needed, add avocado, toss, and serve. Add a sprig of cilantro for a nice touch.

Lime dressing

1/2 C salad oil
1/4 C white wine or other light vinegar
2 T sugar (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
zest of one lime

Whisk briskly until all elements combine. Adjust acid/sugar as needed to fit your desired taste -- tangy or sweeter.

Amy

PS -- In case you're wondering, Hayden is surviving his Wii-free week just fine. We are all doing better than Monday, but I'm still a bit grumpy. What's with that?? Thanks for all your comments.

5 comments:

jan said...

That sounds so good, could I just come over and have it at your house? I am to lazy to make it.

Britney said...

Yum,I am totally making that!! It sounds so delish! I loved you last blog, I know how you feel. Annie is always testing me and she has a way about yelling all the time. I don't know why she does it, or how to say,"please stop yelling" enough before she will get it. But you are a great mom and your kids love you so much! I am glad that we are friends! Lets hang out!

Amy D said...

Yummy! I made something similar to this for our 4th of July party, but it had black beans in it (my favorite!). You'll have to let us know how it turns out. I'm sure it will be superb.

Unknown said...

I ate half of the salad by myself and am finishing it off tomorrow. It was sooo yummy and I didn't feel guilty eating it because it's all veggies. Yum!

ellen said...

I think I'm going to try it!