
When Kyle and I were first married, we were discussing cars. I said that if I could choose, I'd buy a Jetta to drive around town. I could picture myself zipping through Provo, driving to school and work, dashing in and out of stores on my errands, parallel parking in one move, turning on a dime, and having the wind whip through my perfectly-styled hair. My hair is exceptionally easy to style in Utah. Kyle immediately informed me that I was not sporty enough for a Jetta. Protesting, I tried to portray myself as a sporty person, but Kyle adamantly disagreed. Apparently you have to participate in a real sport of some type to drive a Jetta. I was unaware of that stipulation. It must be in the fine print.
I would like to contend that I am currently sporty enough for a Jetta. I regularly wear sports clothing that wicks moisture away from the skin. I have several gadgets and gizmos that enhance my training. I have a legitimate reason to replace electrolytes with Gatorade (I love grape G2) and Gu. I exercise enough to smell pretty bad. I walk around with a spring in my step. I can keep up with the kids. I just used Icy Hot on my knee the other day. Mmm, that stuff smells good. Almost good enough to eat! I wake up early to exercise, and I carbo-load for my long runs every Friday night. In addition, I have a short haircut with spunk and I even watch sports on TV. If that's not sporty enough, what's a girl to do? Join a city ultimate frisbee league? If that's what it takes . . .
I'm not sure I even WANT to drive a Jetta anymore. I'm thinking a cute navy BMW is more my taste. Regardless, I want to be deemed "sporty enough to drive a Jetta." Kyle, what say ye? Have I made the cut?
Amy
7 comments:
You've wanted a Jetta for as long as I've known you. And a Jetta has suited you for as long as I've known you as well, regardless of what Kyle says! No sportiness needed!! I think you'd look great in the BMW too--completely fitting of a wife of a soon-to-be college professor!
Wow, that's intense stuff to be deemed sporty enough! Jetta's aren't very good cars anyway, so I wouldn't go for one if I were you. BMW's are the same way, lots of problems that are very costly. Good luck with what you decide though.
Why settle for a BMW? I think you and I would both look fabulous in a Porsche Boxter.
I guess I would agree that you are sporty enough. Nice work on getting there! Your reward is not a Jetta, but the satisfaction of being able to get a Jetta...two very different things. Oh, no BMW either. However, you are Mom enough to own a Sienna. Enjoy.
I used to really want a Jetta too, until Clint told me that it's a "gay" car. Literally. No thanks. However, I do think you're "sporty" enough to have whatever car you like!
Well, you are definitely "sporty." But I agree with everyone else--you don't need a Jetta. There are other cars that are better. But if it makes you feel any better, Kyle is definitely not a Jetta type either(think "gay" car--totally like Amy D said).
Amy,
The first car we bought after we got married was a black Jetta. I play tennis, but I don't think that qualifies me as "sporty". I loved that car. It took us from Utah to D.C. one summer. Then I had a baby and the car seat wouldn't fit in the back. Bye bye Jetta hello Explorer. I miss my sporty Jetta maybe someday when the kids are grown I'll get a fun car again!
Post a Comment