Where to start . . . I guess I'll start with Friday morning at 3am, when I woke up with severe stomach pains which resulted in my visiting the bathroom several times for the next 6 hours. This did not make me too happy, because I was scheduled to leave for my trip at 1pm that very day. Thanks to some divine intervention, I did start feeling marginally better and was able to eat a bit by the end of the day. But there was no serious carbo-loading or hydrating. I just did the best I could.
It was fun to be in Columbus with the gals. I was annoying myself by thinking about my hip-hugging remora baby Kara instead of enjoying "Me" time, but I was not on the phone as much as SOME people in our group. (I can comment on that because Miss iPhone does not regularly read my blog. And I love her anyway.) We got lucky at Buca di Beppo for dinner. The wait was an hour and 45 minutes, but we got takeout in 20 and sat on stone benches in a beautiful little terrace area, making the other waiting customers salivate over our fare.
The next morning it was race time. I was feeling somewhat better, after my great night of sleep, but quite apprehensive about the race. The course was awesome, I thought. Columbus is a really cool city. We got to run through Ohio State's campus and a part of town called German Village. My stomach was not happy, though, and I couldn't push myself as much as I wanted to. Every time I tried to take Gatorade or any sugar stuff, my stomach would start to seize up and grumble. But I finished in 2:01:33. My original goal was under 2 hours. I realized by about mile 10 that I probably wouldn't make it, so I spent the rest of the race enjoying myself as much as possible (did I mention the 25 mph winds??) and being thankful for my amazing body. My friends did awesome, with times ranging from 1:43 to 2:01 like me. Yeah for good friends to run with! I'm hoping I don't get sick for the marathon -- only 5 weeks until the big day!
Kyle and Kara got the stomach bug this week, but have mostly recovered. I've also been busy looking for something to wear to graduation next week, getting some last minute summer clothes for our Florida trip, researching moving, cleaning my filthy house, and trying to find motivation to prepare meals. For some reason I'm having trouble with the mundane things of life. Jillian was thrilled to have a bowl of cereal for lunch the other day, something she's never done. I'm hoping to mooch off others, eat out, or scrounge through leftovers for the rest of the week. Hope you're having more luck!
Amy
7 comments:
Yay Amy! Way to stick it out. Try Trader Joe's multigrain veggie lasanga. I just discovered it tonight when I didn't feel like cooking, and it was really yummy!
Yeah!!! You're back. I've missed your postings. We do look an awful lot alike, you and I. Sorry you didn't get the time you wanted. I love you! Hang in there.
It's good to have you back! I'm so sorry you were sick, but it looks like you pulled it off. Great job! And you look fabulous too :)
You guys all look great. I am so proud of all of you! You will ROCK the marathon. Running with"tummy troubles or any kind of troubles" is not fun but you know that you were able to do it despite the troubles...now that is empowerment:-)
Welcome back! Way to go on the marathon. You are such a go-getter!
Congrats on finishing the race. Sounds like fun!
you guys are an inspiration!! good job!
Post a Comment