Friday, April 18, 2008

Wish I were there . . .

Notice the camera crew following this elite runner. Probably a Kenyan.

Amy and Hayden cheer! Hayden is 13 months old here.

The day is all about hydrating, even for the spectators.

Hayden gets into the spirit of handing out water.


If I could be anywhere this weekend, including next Monday, I would choose to be in Beantown -- Boston, MA. That's the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, for those of you who may think Massachusetts is a mere state. This weekend is a great time to be in Boston. On Monday, Patriot's Day, there are all sorts of fun celebrations all over the region that have to do with the Revolutionary War. And the granddaddy of all marathons, the Boston Marathon is run starting Monday at noon-ish. We went three years in a row to stand at Mile 19 with several friends (EP always kept us organized) and cheer on the amazing elite runners, wheelchair racers, handcyclers, and everyday people who ran. There are 22,000 runners this year. I've posted some pictures above from the 2004 race. The people just keep coming and coming. It's really inspirational. And those first runners are FAST. As a bonus this Sunday only, the women's Olympic marathon trials are in Boston right around the Charles River. I would love to go and see the best of the best race for the chance to be on the Olympic team. I'm rooting for Deena Kastor, but there are several other women who qualified to run who are mothers, wives, students, and the like. I will never be as fast as they are, but I would be thrilled to watch them run fast. In fact, at least one of the women plans to run the trials on Sunday and the Boston Marathon on Monday. Wow.

If I were in Boston this weekend, I'd relax on the Common, shop at Filene's Basement, have the first ice cream of the season out at Kimball's, go to Lexington for the battle reenactment (at 5:00 in the morning), watch the marathon, get some produce at Haymarket, eat some real seafood, and be proud to be a Patriot. But since I'm in Michigan, I'll just have to wish all my Boston friends Happy Patriot's Day! Have a great weekend!

Amy

7 comments:

Mandy said...

Ditto. Wish I was there with you.

jan said...

If we leave now we might be able to make it in time. It sounds like so much fun

Amy D said...

Oh, man! Way to make me homesick! Those were such fun days. Happy Patriot's Day to you too! You'll be running your own marathon SOON!

Megs said...

I have such fond memories of Boston as well and have been to see the runners in the marathon as a kid. I love New England and hope to be back to visit some day.

Todd and Anna said...

We too would love to be there and see the marathon. We have never even been to Boston, but it would be a fun weekend to be there. I can only imagine watching those elite runners cruise by at their amazing pace!

ellen said...

I wish you were here! I'll take lots of pictures tomorrow and have some ice cream for you. Miss you, AP!

Swoopref said...

As a Patriot, it warmed my heart to read of your love of our Commonwealth.


Congratulations Kyle!!