Friday, April 4, 2008

Five For Friday

1. Roly Poly Oops!

Kara learned to roll every which way this week, which has made her both delighted and furious. One afternoon she rolled over to the outlet, unplugged Kyle's laptop, and was happily chewing on the cord when I looked over. But when she wakes up from her nap and finds herself on her tummy, she is anything but happy. I wonder when she'll crawl, because she doesn't like to spend time on her tummy at all. She might just roll everywhere she wants to go.

2. Why I Want a Garage

Our poor car, which we bought brand new three years ago, is showing signs of wear and tear from being parked near other cars in the parking lot. I don't want to mention any names or make anyone feel bad, but the other member of our family who drives our car, the one besides me, scraped another car in the parking lot. Luckily our gray paint came off of their car, but our bumper is showing some scrapes. That same nameless driver shut the back lift gate with his foot this summer and put a swell dent in the back door. He also slid on some ice because of "bald tires" and we had to get a new wheel. And new tires. Add to that the other dings and nicks we've accumulated and I'm wishing for that garage. I'm also tired of hauling in groceries in phases. First I bring in Kara and my purse. Then I have to go back at least two times to grab everything. It's a workout, and I don't need any extra workouts right now.

3. It's time to have "the talk" with the Bean

Jillian and I were talking about pets. She was telling me how you have to be careful if you have a girl pet, because you don't want to end up with too many babies. I said something about not worrying about that unless you have a boy pet too (same species, of course), and she looked completely perplexed. Very slowly, thinking carefully about every word, I said something like:

"Well, you know, in order to get babies you need a boy and a girl. They each have special parts in their bodies that make it so babies can be born."

There was no lightbulb moment, no aha. She didn't get it at all. Since the school bus was going to come, we didn't have time to finish our chat, but we're going to have to soon. Wish me luck. I don't think my parents ever explained sex to me. Not ever.

4. Getting Tired

11 weeks of training down (besides that 19 mile run tomorrow I'm trying not to think about), 7 to go. The marathon is fast approaching. My training has been stellar so far, but I'm starting to get worn out. I find myself wishing for bedtime at 9:00, and heading for bed at 10:00. The alarm goes off too soon every morning, and I contemplate just staying in bed and pretending I'm sick. But I get up and I do my workout! I've only missed one cross-training workout in the last 11 weeks, and no running workouts. I'm feeling pretty good about that. I only have three really long runs left (each over 19 miles), and the taper will come before I know it. Next weekend some girlfriends and I are going to run a half marathon in Columbus. I'm amazed how non-stressful that distance seems now. 13.1 miles. I secretly (not so secret now that it's on this blog) hope to do it in 2 hours, but I'm not going to push it too much. We'll just see how things go. I'm so glad I'm not injured, I just bought a new pair of shoes, and I'm willing to endure to the end and reach my goal. Wish me luck!

5. House Hunting

Apparently everyone's grandma recently died in Eugene and so they put her house up on the market. I say this because many of the houses we're looking at online are so fussy. There are doilies, heavy drapes, floral patterns, traditional dark wood furniture, and other "grandma" items everywhere, in every room. Sometimes it's hard to see the house and its features for all the stuff. I can't imagine myself living there because I can't imagine decorating a room with 4 lace-covered tv trays, an overstuffed sofa, and my 24 favorite cross-stitched cats. I seriously hope we find something decent. Decent meaning no wood paneling and no 1970s kitchen. On the positive side, many homes have beautiful landscaping and everyone seems to own a hot tub. And most homes have an RV parking spot. I'm sure that will be useful someday.

Have a great weekend! I'm looking forward to a long run, a yard sale, General Conference, and making some cinnamon rolls. Yum.

Amy

PS -- Some of you may have noticed I changed my name to amydear. Those of you who have known me for a long time may recognize where that came from. Those of you who don't, I hope you think I'm nice enough to pull it off. Don't tell me if you don't, though, because I have sensitive feelings. : )

12 comments:

Leslie said...

good luck on your run tomorrow!!

Michael Family said...

Go Amy! I want a garage for the grocery reason also (although that has improved drastically since we moved), but also so I don't fear for my children's life every time I get into or out of the car. Katie has a way of just running away from me, and she could totally get smashed. I fear every time!

Polliwog said...

Wow, that is an ambitious training schedule. I only had one run over 19. I guess that's one benefit (?) of training with an "advanced" crowd. :) Wish I was running with you! If you're up for it in April, Bethany and I are planning on the SLC Marathon (or the Ogden in May). (Gotta have a plan, right?)

Best of luck with your half. I'm sure you can get under 2 hours. With the training you have under your belt, you are sitting pretty for it.

Angie said...

good luck on your marathon! I think you are all crazy for doing them, but that's just me. I will never do one and I am ok with that. I yearn for a garage as well. I hate how marked up the cars get here and I do my grocery shopping right before Keith gets home so he can help me bring in the groceries! Good luck with Kara learning to roll everywhere too.

Unknown said...

I like you and your blog.

Mandy said...

Mmmm. Cinnamon rolls.

Mandie said...

We would like to have a garage too. I sort of scraped another car in the parking lot 2 weeks after we got our new van. Also, at least you have houses to look at. The town is so small that I can't even see apartments online.

Amy D said...

Wow, where to start. Good luck with "the talk". I'm not especially looking forward to that one, though I know it's very important! And great job on your training. You're going to be awesome. I'm just amazed at how far you go! And good luck with the house hunt. It's hard to imagine what things look like without being there to see them in person. How far is it from Eugene to SLC? I'm going to go look it up right now. Hopefully, closer than San Francisco was!

Maren Hansen said...

what a great post--i totally feel for you with the van thing. our poor baby isn't even a year old yet, and it's got all kinds of dings, most of them from the garbage truck or a mystery car in some store's parking lot. erg! in fact, one of the tabs on my computer right now is touch up paint to put all over all those little dings... man, even the interior of our van is suffering. i'm heartily glad now that we got the leather or it would look even worse. at least the leather just cleans right off...

i was looking at homes in Eugene a couple years ago (my sister is in portland and i was dreaming of being able to live closer to her). i totally agree on the doilies, but hey, at least the houses are grandma-died-estate-sale affordable... :)

Ken and Amy said...

I love my garage especially in the winter and when the kids fall asleep in the car! Don't settle for anything less!

Swoopref said...

Jen wants to hear how "the talk" works out.

Whats this I hear about "Go Ducks!"?

Megs said...

You might have to prove yourself with Amydear. We'll consider this a trial run, maybe? Just kidding, it suits you perfectly. Can't wait to hear how the talk goes! I want a garage as well. I have said that multiple times during this winter.