Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Lovin' Livin'

This week the kids are off for spring break. It seems like they've had more vacation than school lately, so I wasn't really looking forward to more time with them. But then I realized I don't actually spend that much time with them. Since they're both in school and have a zillion neighborhood friends, I am low on their list of people to hang out with in their downtime. And too often I send them away or ask them to wait until I'm done with some menial task. Not this week. This week we're living it up. I've planned a fun outing for every day of the week, and some are brand new things (can't believe we haven't done everything there is to do around here). Yesterday we headed to the Toledo Zoo, an old favorite. Our group ended up being about 30 people. It was almost 70 degrees, sunny, and very pleasant. We didn't rush through things, instead enjoying the conversation and the moment as we saw the animals. The baby polar bears born there last year didn't make an appearance. I was sad about that as they are completely adorable and fun to watch.

We spent more time outside before and after dinner. Hayden got a new scooter for his birthday and has been zooming around, trying to figure out some new tricks. Jillian's back on her bike, and Kara tolerates the stroller. Dad was gone until about 8pm last night, so we really did enjoy the ENTIRE day together!

Today we're off to the outlet malls (getting a few summer duds for our upcoming Florida trip) and an indoor playplace. I hope they have fun climbing around and exploring new things. The week might also include swimming, a trip to the local children's museum, Chuck E Cheese's, bike rides, games, a movie night, and whatever else we dream up. This is the best part about being a mom!

Amy

PS -- Fought Darth Vader in the video game with H yesterday. He told me I was the best Darth Vader fighter ever. Yes!

PPS -- Officially lost every ounce of my pregnancy weight this week. Double yes!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

'Yeah!' for summer dud shopping! lol Are you going to visit Disney World while you are in Florida??? ;)

Polliwog said...

So many things to say! I wish I was next door to chat. First of all, Cbox is also doing tricks (on D's razor) most notably the one footed, eyes closed spinner. I cringe when I watch, as I am forced to do.

I know you've done the Zoo and the outlets before. So what were you referring to that you haven't done yet? Curious what I missed. Oh, and at first read I though you said you bought an indoor playplace. I was trying to picture what size of a playplace would fit in your home. lol.

Lastly, big congrats for shedding the final ounce. I'm sure you look svelt, all set to run your longest race ever. And then another. ;)

Missy said...

Sounds like your house is the place to be this week! How do you have energy for all that you do AND running so much? I love your blog.

Unknown said...

Can I come and play?

Amy D said...

Wow, such fun! I need to learn a lesson from you about loving to play with my kids, even though there's always something to do around the house. I was just thinking about that today. What a good Mom you are! And a huge congrats for getting off your pregnancy weight. I'm right behind you ;)

mama bear said...

Sounds like fun, I'm sad I missed the zoo! My kids love the Castaway Cafe. I keep thinking I want to check out Jump City as well, maybe after this baby makes an appearance. I really need to find the energy to spend more quality time with the kiddos, I know they would love a little extra attention from Mom.
PS Congrats on the weight loss, you look great!

Ann-Marie Photography said...

congrats on the running thing. Although I run, long distance is not my strong suit. Also glad for you that that one ounce (or more) has finally said farewell, isn't growing babies just so much fun with all the great things that come with it (i.e. what your body is put through!) You look great, and good luck on your run!

Mandy said...

You are a go-getter! I feel tired just reading that post . . . of course that may have something to do with the fact that it is 10:30 at night.

amy said...

Well done on your weight loss. I lost mine but unfortunately gained it back again- can I still consider it pregnancy weight?
I love when I'm able to get in the zone and spend time with my kids. I don't do it often enough so thanks for the example and the reminder.