Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Skip this one if you're tired of back to school nonsense




Wow. What a clever and informative title. My blog has been blocking me for days, so I was pleasantly surprised to find I could actually log in today.

If you don't know, I find our school district to be extremely frustrating and lame. The individual teachers I like, and some of the schools we've attended I like (we've sampled 4), but the overall district is frustrating. Last year we had under 170 school days, and this year we are scheduled for about 165. The day is only 6 hours long. We didn't start school until September 10th. We got out June 10th, so we had a legitimate 3 months of summer. I had to buy school supplies for the 3 school-aged kids. We also have to buy copy paper for the school, 2 reams/kid, and they usually run out. In addition, I had to purchase 2 workbooks for Jillian's classes. Have I mentioned that property taxes are not low in our fair(ly lame) city?

Most of this trouble stems from the decline in state revenue due to the economy and decreased timber harvest/sales. Budgets have been slashed every year since we moved here. Overall, the kids are happy on a day-to-day basis, and I think they are learning, but I do wonder if their public school education won't add up to much by the time they are trying to go to college. Jillian's school is moving to a proficiency grading system, which sounds like a bunch of hogwash.

Anyway, after spending a small fortune getting everyone ready to go back to school, they went. I think we are all happier with a school year routine. I get things done at home without constantly being interrupted or breaking up fights, we get up earlier and get more done, and the kids see their friends. Summer is great, but I only need about 9 weeks of it, not 12. Kate is the kind of child who doesn't entertain herself well, so it's great that she's in preschool 2 mornings a week. I have already accomplished so much at home! When the kids come home, I'm very happy to see the kids and we can interact in positive ways. Win-win.

Photographic evidence my children got ready for school, plus a few bonus snaps:

Kate - preschool
Kara - 1st grade, Spanish immersion
Hayden - 5th grade
Jillian - 8th grade

4 kids, 4 schools, 4 different start and end times! 







post signature

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa. That's a lot of different schools and times and schedules. Good luck keeping that all straight. But you are amazingly organized. Cute kids!

Unknown said...

P.S. In that picture, you look lovely and your shirt looks like it has dog bones all over it.

Kelly(M&M) said...

Great pics!! Sounds busy, but good. The last pic of you is wonderful. It is fun to have your sister in Sherwood. Hi Shauna! Wish you could move here also, as I am sure SHauna does!

Cheri said...

Ha! I love that you put a picture in of yourself. Wonderful! All those different start and end times would give me panic attacks. Oy!

Michael Family said...

I love the back-to-school picture of you. That is classy!