Sunday, September 22, 2013

South Sister Hike


Kyle and I climbed a mountain together in August. It was fun and not as hard as I thought it would be. We went with two other couples and had a good time. Oregon is such a beautiful state. I think I'd like to climb a peak in Oregon, Washington, or California every year.

South Sister is one of the Three Sisters mountains. It's a 12-mile hike round trip. Part of it is very easy, but the last 2.5 miles to the top are pretty strenuous. I thought down was harder than up, and my legs felt like they do after a marathon the next day.

Kyle took his GoPro camera and had fun taking photos. Here are some of the best ones from our adventure. It felt good to leave the kids behind for a day and do something adventurous. I really love the outdoors. I can't wait to spend more time hiking, camping, and exploring with my family.


 We are about 2.5 miles in here. Easy going. We were watching the summit because there was a potential for rain and snow.
 We passed Moraine Lake. Some people hike in and camp here and summit the next day.
 Putting on our gaiters at the false summit before attempting the last mile or so.
 We made it to the top! And it was beautiful.
 At the tippy tippy top. 10,300ish feet in elevation.
 Kyle's GoPro selfie.
 Walking back across the glacier at the summit. That was kind of cool.

 Watching the wind swirl around the summit. The weather changed so rapidly up there.
 Stopping for a snack. It was a perfect day for hiking.





 Views to the West of Middle and North Sisters. We also saw Mt. Jefferson, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Bachelor, to name a few.

We've decided to conquer Middle Sister next year. Can't wait!

post signature

5 comments:

Kelly(M&M) said...

You rock!! That is so awesome. Beautiful pictures.

Scott and Svetlana said...

Wow, sounds so ex... what the word am I looking for...hmm, explorationalistic! I don't even know if its a word or not, but here you have it :)
That hiking looks SO cool. Nice photos!

Unknown said...

Awesome!

Michael Family said...

Wow, that looks really neat!

Unknown said...

Marisa's comment sounded like Dad.