About a month ago I needed a new deodorant, so I decided to try a "green" brand. Being earth-friendly and organic is all the rage here in tree-hugging, granola Oregon, and I guess after 4.5 years of living here it's rubbing off on me. I haven't started my dreadlocks yet, and I haven't purchased a pair of Birkenstocks or an incense burner, but I do take my recycling very seriously.
Back to the deodorant. After wearing it for a few days, and reapplying as needed throughout the day, I noticed a peculiar smell around me. It smelled like the crowds at any free event in Eugene. And that smell was me. Even if I showered daily, put on deodorant before working out, and put more on later in the day if I had somewhere else to go, I still smelled like I didn't regularly use deodorant. I was kind of mad about this, since I spend $8 on this fancy schmancy all natural deodorant, so I kept using it. But it bothered me every time I smelled like Eugene, so I finally bought the old regular kind of deodorant that doesn't save the earth.
Now I know that when I smell that kind of body odor smell one often gets a whiff of in Eugene, I shouldn't assume that those people don't shower or use deodorant. No, they just use the wrong kind of deodorant. I won't make that mistake again.
4 comments:
Ooorrrrr, they really don't use deodorant. At least you don't smell like Teen Spirit. I have a friend that doesn't use deodorant (or she uses your kind) and it is pretty stinky at the gym. Awkward. There is no way I could ever tell her.
Good try, Amy. I bet Mother Earth thanks you for taking your recycling seriously.
No way, smells like Eugene :) Never thought about that, but many males back in RU think that real man should smell like (no shower, no deodorant, slept in train for a week)...
Colorado is getting "earth-friendly" a lot as well but CO is going in a little bit "funny" direction.
I am guessing if the deodorant was $8 then maybe, just maybe they are going without. Maybe. Oh well, good try. Recycling more than makes up for not using greentastic deodorant.
Post a Comment