I had a very nice Thanksgiving. The day itself was great, and the week leading up to it I spent a lot of time pondering the many things I have to be thankful for. I've often said that my life is so blessed I really should never complain about anything. My problems are small compared to so many others. As our world becomes smaller (not literally), and our culture more global, I am more aware of how much I have, and how much others struggle. I am so thankful for the basic necessities of life. For water, electricity, a roof over my head, ample food, clothing, and all the "stuff" I need. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of choices I have. It might be nice to have less. So this Thanksgiving, the dialogue in my head (because I am always thinking and talking to myself) went like this:
I am thankful that my dilemma is what to make for dinner out of many choices, not how to find food to put on my table.
I am thankful that I can lock my doors and feel safe at night.
I am thankful for a husband who loves and respects me.
I am thankful that although my oven doesn't work perfectly, I have an oven and a kitchen inside my house where I can prepare meals.
I am thankful that although my back sometimes still hurts, I have access to good health care and a bed to sleep on at night. I don't have to do back-breaking work all day to survive.
I am thankful for the water that flows abundantly from my tap, and from the sky in winter in Oregon.
I am thankful that I have shoes for my feet, and for my children's feet, even though Kate refuses to wear shoes most of the time.
I am thankful that Kyle has a great education and a great job. I know I can have one again someday too. We have suffered just a little during the recession, with no raises at work and the value of our house dropping. So many more people have been jobless for long periods of time and have lost their homes.
I am thankful that my children can ride a school bus to school every day and get a decent education. They don't have to worry about war in their neighborhood, factions that don't believe girls should be educated, etc.
Here are some snaps from our Thanksgiving Day. My sister Shauna and her family moved less than a week after Thanksgiving, so we really enjoyed our time with them. Jillian helped me decorate. I was so pleased with the way things turned out. It was good to take the time to celebrate.
Jillian should learn not to take photos like this and leave them on the camera.
Our pretty table
The bird! It turned out juicy and delicious. Best we've had in several years.
Jillian models our turkey headbands. Always a favorite!
Our fam. Kate currently hates photos.
Makin' gravy. Mmm, it was good!
Shauna and Jonas. Jonas should also learn not to take silly photos.
Me and my main squeeze Seth. I'm going to miss this little guy!
Hayden and Jillian (who ran their first 5K race on Thanksgiving morning!) fight over the wishbone.
And I'm thankful for anyone who is still reading this blog!
- Amy
3 comments:
I am thankful for this blogger and this blog!
Can't believe how grown up that Ms. Jillian is looking lately. . .Ugh.
Wow, do I look that bad ALL the time? Sad. The turkey was soooo good, as well as everything else I ate that night. I sigh in contentment just thinking about it. Thanks for a great last huurah!
Post a Comment