Sunday, September 16, 2012

Coos Bay Weekend

Some friends invited us to go south on the Oregon coast for Labor Day weekend.  They had a connection to the director of the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology (part of U of O), so we stayed in quaint cottages for a couple of nights.  The weather was the nicest I've ever, ever seen on the coast.  It was a perfect end to summer.  The kids played outside for hours at a time, we enjoyed a couple of different beaches and hikes, we ate good food (too much as always), and even watched football on an iPad.  The kids got to see a Giant Pacific Octopus, hold whale bones, and see shark embryos.  Very cool.  Summer is definitely sticking around these parts, and I am so happy.  I am in no rush for fall, although I love it.  I know fall means rain, and I am not ready for that!  When I get back from vacation in 10 days, it can be fall.

 Kate and Kyle overlooking the ocean.  We were whale watching!

 The boys

 The lovely little cove where we watched a whale in for about 30 minutes. It just kept surfacing and blowing and breaching - very whale-like. 
 My studious whale face.

 Jillian catching a glimpse.

 What happens when you ask a 13 year-old to take your photo.

 A hike on a "tunnel" trail.  It was like a fairy tale forest.

 Hayden and his bud Brock.

 Kids at the cottage.

 Squishy.

Kate shows Jillian's scalp no mercy!

Great memories.  I'd love to go again next year!
post signature

4 comments:

Steph said...

Sign me up for a night in that cottage--it's darling. Looks like a fun trip.

Scott and Svetlana said...

That is so cool that you went on a trip, as I understand there is another one coming right up. Best of luck and take lots of pictures :)

Michael Family said...

Looks like a ton-o-fun! Have a blast in Hawaii!

Scott said...

Oh! What a beautiful cottage!