I took Bean and Pea on a road trip to Spokane in late August. We drove through Ellensburg and stopped to see some good friends we knew in Michigan. We only had two days in Spokane, but we did a lot, including an awesome white water rafting trip in Montana. My siblings were all there, and my dad and bro-in-law were our raft guides, and we had a great time. I don't have any photos, though, because I didn't have a waterproof camera. We listened to audio books and shared snacks during the drive; we also chatted and just enjoyed being together. We all shared a room at my parents' house, which was also fun. Kyle took the little girls to the county fair while we were gone, so I think everyone had a good weekend.
Kyle and I alternate putting Asparagus and Sprout to bed at night. He sings them funny songs. Here are some they've requested of me lately:
Addams family theme song
Ice, Ice Baby
Michigan fight song
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Beverly Hillbillies
I can do part of Ice, Ice Baby, all of the Michigan fight song, and part of Fresh Prince, but usually I tell them those are "Daddy Songs" and that they have to ask for "Mommy Songs." They also ask for Billy Joel's "Lullaby", which is a beautiful song, but I save that for Daddy too.
Even though Kate is only two, she's realized sleep is not the enemy. Often when she is ready for her afternoon nap she'll tell me, and then she'll say something cute like "See you later, Mommy" when I put her down. I'm glad we're not fighting about nap time just yet.
Jillian and Hayden are really into learning games. We love to play all kinds of games. It's been fun to teach them some strategy games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan. They think staying up late to play games is tons of fun, and it is!
We've been doing family bike rides all summer. The littles ride in the trailer, and the rest of us ride bikes. We ride to a park, play for awhile, and then ride home. I hope the weather stays nice enough that we can have lots of family bike rides.
Occasionally I pine for the days of no kids, although it's getting hard to remember what those days were like. But mostly I'm grateful for this family I have now, and how much fun we are having together. I can't wait to see what the next several years bring!
At Multnomah Falls on the way to Spokane.
Lovely central Washington. (kid photo)
The view from the back seat.
Driving home along the Columbia River. It was a gorgeous day.
Hayden (Pea) started 4th grade.
Kara gets right to work at Kindergarten. She is in a Spanish immersion school.
Jillian tries to smile in the sun. She is a 7th grader. What???
These two cuties like waiting for the bus every day.
6 comments:
Aww, they're cute. I love them!
You DO have great kids! I bet they could easily beat me in any game. I'd love to play with them sometime too. Can Kyle come sing me to sleep?
Ah. . .the old days. If we could have a few of those days a year, that would be great. But I'm really digging parenting as my kids get older. They are fun to have around. Maybe one of these years we can get together for a family game night.
Jillian looks so mature! She wears lip color way better than me. You are such a good mom. How do you like the spanish immersion? Love the posts, keep them comin'.
Looks like your kids are growing up fast! We are in Missoula, MT now, so you guys should stop and visit if you come rafting again.
Sheesh! They're all getting so big! Jillian, you're gorgeous! I can't wait until my kids are old enough to take them on a river rafting trip!
Post a Comment