Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A New Addition

We've got something new around here!  My parents came to visit in late June and I put my Dad to work. (Isn't my Dad so nice to help us out??) He and Kyle finished off the deck we built way back in 2009.  I love the deck, but it ended abruptly and had a big patch of bark below it, with no easy way to get to the grass.  So they built a new platform, just six inches lower than the deck.  I think it turned out great.  It is so easy to get from the deck to the lawn, and the size is perfect for toweling off after a sprinkler run.  It also makes a great stage.  The kids have put on a few shows for us. We put some pretty stones and fuzzy plants off the patio as the other option down to the lawn.  The fuzzy plants should fill in between the large stones and be fun to step on.  I only wish summer were longer so we could enjoy our outdoor living area more.  But for now we are making the most of it!  Here's to one more month of summer!

In progress - note the rain.  Ugh.

Dad and Kyle measuring for the last board.




Jillian made this collage from leftover pieces of wood.  She's so creative.  This is something my sister Marisa would have done when we were little.

 
The view from the old deck.  The kids used to run and jump to make it to the lawn.



 
The view from the lawn. 

Oh, and something else to watch from the new deck platform.  Notice Kate doing a head dive.  For some reason we can't have a trampoline, but we can have a bounce house!  Come hang out!


Did anyone think I was talking about a different kind of addition?  ; )

post signature

9 comments:

ellen said...

Nice deck! And that collage is adorable.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Jillian's collage! The deck does look wonderful. i need to hang out on it more.

Michael Family said...

The deck looks so nice (and so much bigger!). For some reason we can't have a trampoline either (Wayne is afraid the kids will get hurt) but last night he said he would be fine with a bouncy house. What?! I think it's because you can put it away, so it doesn't hurt the lawn and/or look tacky. And I think there is way less chance for injury. Unless you are Kate.

Steph said...

Looks great. One of these years I want to come see it in person! I finally broke Ryan down and we have a trampoline. Bounce houses don't hold up too well on a rock lawn. . .

Mandy said...

Your house is so dang fun.

Amy said...

That bouncy house is way too cool. The deck looks fantastic AND Jillian's collage is awesome!

Katie Stapleton said...

Super cool! Your house looks like a party!

Scott and Svetlana said...

Wow! Your new addition indeed looks good! Why didn't I check your backyard when we visited you for Thanksgiving? It looks really good including new addition. :) And 'no' I did not think about other kind of addition. BTW, any thoughts? LOL
Yey, for Jillian's creativity. It would be good to glue it on black (or any other one color board ) and put it as a display in your home or something. Anyway, looks cool!

iDave said...

Very Nice work Kyle! Love it - great use of the space.