I used to be able to do the splits up the wall, flat as a pancake, and every other which way.
Now I can hold down a squirming toddler and change a diaper without making a mess.
I used to be able to write literary criticism.
Now I can write school excuse notes.
I used to be able to converse about the latest educational research.
Now I can make up a song, on the spot, about anything.
I used to be a personnel manager at a city park.
Now I am COO of my cute house.
I used to make Pasta Roni for dinner and eat it three nights in a row.
Now I can make Indian food from scratch.
I used to be able to take four hour naps.
Now I only dream about the opportunity.
I used to drive a 1985 Honda Accord with a manual transmission.
Now I rock a swagger wagon (Toyota Sienna).
I used to be a master flirter.
Now I have a loving marriage that always gets better.
I used to be able to eat a pint of ice cream.
I probably still could, but it would make me soooo sick!
I used to babysit for extra cash.
Now I manage most of the finances.
I used to be able to do fouette turns.
Now I can run a marathon. (Well, not exactly now, but in theory.)
I sometimes feel like I've lost a lot of my previous abilities. I used to be good at some things, now I'm good at different things. And there are lots of things I hope to be good at as my life progresses. I'd also like to go back and sharpen some of the skills I've lost. You?
I used to be able to do fouette turns.
Now I can run a marathon. (Well, not exactly now, but in theory.)
I sometimes feel like I've lost a lot of my previous abilities. I used to be good at some things, now I'm good at different things. And there are lots of things I hope to be good at as my life progresses. I'd also like to go back and sharpen some of the skills I've lost. You?
4 comments:
Is that "flirter" thing really a "used to be?" C'mon, you can flirt with your husband, right? It is lamentable that you can't eat a pint of ice cream all at once anymore! Splits up a wall, not so much.
That's a fun way to look at it. I think some of our skills will be ones we return to (at least I hope so!!) but just don't have time for at the moment. For instance, I haven't quilted since Anna was born! Maybe not the splits, though ...
I guess we are acquiring new skills all the time. My newest is that I got a bike and am training for my first triathlon in 5 weeks. Woo hoo! And of course I've got some pretty mad poopy diaper changing skillz.
awesome post Amy. I needed that sometimes I just forget that even though I am no longer doing some things it doesn't mean I've lost them or that I haven't gotten better at others.
I've thought about this. What skills do I want to hold on to, and what things am I happy to permanently let go of? How do I hold on to who I am as an individual? Would I want things to be the way they used to be? Lots of changes always happening. . .
Post a Comment