1. He thinks our backyard isn't big enough.
2. He thinks trampolines are dangerous.
3. He doesn't want other people's children to get hurt on our trampoline.
4. He doesn't want to move the trampoline to mow the grass.
5. It rains a lot here and he doesn't want the trampoline out in the rain.
I concede that these are all valid points. Now, here are my reasons for wanting a trampoline:
1. The kids would have a great time on it. I know they would.
2. Our backyard goes basically unused. Even when we're on the deck having a barbecue, the kids often go out to the front driveway where we can't see them. A trampoline would be fun for all of our summer parties and cookouts. (I think we are going to make a fire pit too. But not too close to the trampoline.)
3. Exercise for kiddos.
I know that trampolines can be dangerous, but we would get a safety net, and we really don't have room for a huge trampoline, so we would get a smaller one. And we have pretty good health insurance. As far as other kids jumping, we would get permission from their parents. We actually don't have that many friends over because we don't have close neighbors with kids, so I'm not too worried about this. I will also personally cut the grass under the trampoline with scissors, or help him move it, if he is really concerned. And in the winter we can take the pads off, take the net down, and move the trampoline frame off the grass and against the fence or house or something.
So, any other tips for convincing dear old dad to let us kids get a trampoline? Summer is fast approaching and we want to get our jump on!
10 comments:
Well, you could compromise and get a play structure instead. Much less potential for injury, right? Or you could do what my friend does, and have her trampoline in the living room. You've got tall ceilings! It might work!
Well, here in CO we don't have as much rain as you in your state, but our weather here is changing like a girl changing her outfit - 10 times a day. So our neighbor have it set up all 4 seasons long and kids are jumping there every so often (and their yard is like 15 by 15 feet so if your yard is bigger than that - you are fine). Trampoline is a really fun thing, but you'd have to monitor kids for sure, so they don't bounce each other when jumping all together.
I don't have a good suggestion, but when you convince Kyle, let me know what finally worked:). Our dad feels the same way.
Is rain bad for trampolines? And if you don't use your backyard much, just get a big one anyway. You can take out some of those trees in the corners, and that would open up more room. As far as moving trampolines for mowing, they're not that heavy. Come on, Tall Man! use those muscles! I bet the kids would be willing to help him move it for mowing. Maybe turn it into a family responsibility?
Wait a second. Are you talking about your husband or my husband? As the child of a nurse, Ryan has heard all the horror stories of trampolines and for a long time he sided with Kyle. But he's slowly softening. If it isn't the trampoline injury, it will be something else, right? And I'd rather have a broken arm from being active than a case of carpal tunnel from playing too many video games. . .
Trampolines are cool. I've been fighting this battle with my own tall man for about 17 years. So far he is winning.
Rex and I will come over and jump on it enough to make in worth it.... and I swear your kids will be outside all the time! You will have to beg them to come in!
Mina's Gym has several papers on the wall documenting how backyard trampolines are very dangerous and advising to not get them. This is from a place that takes trampoline fun very seriously. I could get a copy of them for Kyle if you would like. Also, I know an orthopedic surgeon and a pediatrician that would be happy to talk to you about problems beyond broken arms.
My kids call me the PPP: The Prepared Party Pooper
My cousins dug a hole and stuck the trampoline in it- nobody falls off and no grass to mow underneath. Granted you have a big hole if you ever get rid of the tramp but just fill it up with dirt and replant grass. Also all the tramps I played on had really strict rules for how many kids could be on it at once, no shoes etc. Good luck trying to convince Kyle.
It sounds like all the men side with me, plus I have A,M and S on my side too. I would like a copy of the paper describing why trampolines are of the devil, which I will copy and post in every room of the house and force my kids to commit to memory.
Also, I would rather get very large sconces in the living room than have a trampoline, that's how much I don't want one. BTW, neither are happening unless an act of God drops one out of the sky and it lands on our back lawn.
Post a Comment