Friday, May 13, 2011

Playing Catch Up

I have lots of things I could blog about, but not a lot of time to develop them into long posts. If Blogger hadn't been down for two days I would have written something spectacular. Looks like we all missed out! So instead we get the shortened version of things at the Veggie House. Here we go!

1. I ran a 5K a couple of weeks ago. The first in my summer race series. I really hate running 5ks, but I wanted to get back into racing. I made a couple of rookie mistakes in my line up, causing me to go almost .75 miles before hitting my goal pace, which threw the whole race off. In the end, though, I still managed to set a new PR of 25:28 and get 3rd in my age group. I think I even get a prize. I may run one more 5K this summer or fall just to try and get under 25 minutes. I think I can do it!

2. I am having an obsession with sweet potato fries. Costco has a big bag of the Alexia brand ones that you bake in the oven. They are delicious. I could eat them every day. But I don't.

3. Kate seems to be weaning herself. Hmm. Not very happy about this, as I was determined to persevere, but maybe it's for the best. I need to go to some of Young Women camp in July anyway, and it was going to be tricky with a nursing baby.

4. I am getting excited for school to be out! I am not usually excited for summer vacation because it's hard to keep kids happy all day, but I think it's going to be a great summer. I am also excited there is a month left of school so that I can prepare some awesomeness for the kids.

5. I actually cleaned out some drawers and papers and things this week. I feel so accomplished. But don't open any closets if you come over, okay?

6. Kyle and I are like two ships passing in the night this week. I miss him! We had a great date last Saturday where we talked and laughed like we haven't in a long time. It felt like the early dating days of 1998. Then he made me a most fabulous Mother's Day dinner (with Jonas as sous chef). I am still thinking about the panko-crusted halibut with lemon, basil and tomato sauce. He also made chocolate pots de creme with white chocolate whipped cream and fresh raspberries for dessert. Dreamy.

7. Thanks for reading this blog. I mean it. There are so many blogs out there, and so many ways to spend your online time. It means a lot to me that you read and even occasionally comment! I'll try to make it worth your while.

post signature

7 comments:

ellen said...

Nice catch up!

Michael Family said...

Good job on the 5K! You'll have to tell me more about making rookie mistakes, because I don't even know what that means. I just line up and start running. I must be missing something!

Mandy said...

I love those fries too. And Kyle is too much with the cooking . . . maybe he could teach some other husbands a few tricks?

Amy D said...

Way to go on the new PR! You're my hero. And wow to Kyle! Looks like you've taught him some awesome culinary skills. Very impressive!

jan said...

So are you willing to share some of your awesomeness for your kids ideas? Way to go on you 5k.

SusieQ said...

Congratulations on your PR! And I was so happy to see that you got raspberries this year...remember last year? Funny Kyle.

Brianne Pitts-Wells said...

I love reading your blog! I need to be better about mine. And as for running, I cannot wait to get back in shape! I mean it. Can't wait to start running again! Maybe we can run together when we live there for three months (starting November, still a while off).