So, I'm curious what others are doing about the whole Halloween on Sunday thing. Are you letting your kids trick or treat? Our kids think they are not going to trick or treat on Sunday. We didn't even have a discussion about it. They just said something like, "It's too bad Halloween is on a Sunday. We won't be able to trick or treat." I guess we've taught them the keep the Sabbath Day holy commandment pretty well. But honestly, I don't care too much if they trick or treat a bit on Sunday. I'm pretty indifferent, actually. There is a pretty big party on Friday at our church where they'll get some candy, and then Kyle's work is having a party on Saturday. So we could say that's enough. Or not.
If you don't mind, let me know what your family is doing about this situation and your reasoning behind it. I'd love to know!
12 comments:
We're doing the ward party (it's on Saturday) and they have a HUGE trunk or treat. So that will be enough. I told the kids they can't on Sunday, which they were fine with. Then later Wayne was like, "Hey, I don't care if they go on Sunday!" But I am sticking to my guns, dang it.
After having a good conversation with my kids about not going trick-or-treating on Sunday, we as a family decided that the ward party & school party was enough. So come Sunday night, I am putting a big bowl of candy on the porch and we are locking ourselves in the basement to play games and be together as a family. Good luck with your decision!
I think we may stop at a few specific houses, but our kids are still young enough that they are just happy to go trunk-or-treat and get some candy! Oh, our downtown is doing a big t-or-t thing on Saturday.
We'll be trick or treating. We already talked about the fact that we'll be staying together as a family (no running off with friends this year).
We spend a large part of every Sunday outside walking, going for a family bike ride, or hanging out at the park after an early dinner. It's what we enjoy and makes things harmonious and we all grow closer to each other. Sometimes we invite other families along.
I don't see much difference in being out on Halloween in a costume. I did tell the kids it would have more bearing on what they would BE for Halloween (eg. with Jake - no on the zombie, but okay for Luke Skywalker) and we talked about keeping things toned down and not stopping at the house that always has a live band out front playing crazy Halloween music. We will make decisions throughout the night depending on whether it is still lending to an uplifting family/community time together.
If my kids had decided for themselves without asking me, and had decided they were going to stay home, I'd find no problem with that either.
I think we'll skip Sunday . . . there will be plenty of candy around with all the parties and trunk or treat . . . plus I'm just plain tired that time of night, and any excuse to stay in will gladly be taken!
We're just doing the ward party, but my kids are little and don't care how they get their candy. :)
Our city has actually advertised that T-or-T will be held city-wide on Saturday evening. With our ward party on 27th, we'll be overstocked in the candy department as it is, but the whole Sunday thing has been settled for us. However, I'm with those that said, if my kids made taht decision on their own- give 'em their kudos and run with it! And come Sunday night, our house will be dark and we will not be answering the door.
I am maybe more excited about trick-or-treating than the kids. We haven't ever been, and I want them to have the experience and I don't wanna wait another year. Plus, it isn't as if we are buying anything or doing anything irreverent. I say do it.
Like you, I was on the fence. But then I realized that most of what we teach our little kids now is preparation for when life gets more challenging later in life. It's harder for them to draw lines ... I just wanted to keep things clear. If we go trick or treating this year, then it will be a debate in 5 years (or whenever it comes up again) about whether my 12 year old can go to her friend's halloween party ... or whatever it may be. In truth, it may not be that big of a deal. But since my kids took the news that we aren't going pretty well, I figure I'll ride that train and save myself some drama down the road. :)
I have lots of LDS friends who are going, though. It's definitely a family call.
ok so now that I feel TOTALLY GUILTY~~ (all you good people) :) we are but it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to avoid Trick or Treating here at Northwood. I mean come on the costume parade goes right past our front door! If we lived by family or had somewhere to go then probably not. but it's our last year here so what ya gonna do.
Your outing to the pumpkin patch looks way fun. Reminds me of Boston (sniff, sniff). About trick or treating...the good thing about living in Utah is that everyone goes out on Saturday night instead of Sunday, so we'll be doing that. That would be a tough issue, but I'm proud of your kids for making a good decision. That deserves a special celebration at home that night for sure!
So, what did you decide? :-) We did the trunk or treat last night and went to a get together today instead of trick or treating. No one came to our house because we are up a long dirt road. :-) Your pics are beautiful as always!
Post a Comment