Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Taste of Tuesday -- Warm Pasta Salad


On Sunday I came up with a wonderful creation, thanks to a little help from my Dad. I wanted to do a vegetarian dish, but something hearty and filling. It was a warm day, so I didn't want something hot, and I wanted fresh flavors. This ended up being perfect. I served it with a very flavorful salmon and some melon. Here's the recipe (will feed 4-6 people):

Cook 12 ounces of pasta -- I recommend penne, farfale, or something similar.
Broil 4 cups of diced bread, a nice loaf of paesano, french bread, Italian, sourdough, or whatever you like.

While these two things are going, assemble the following in a large pasta bowl:

2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced (preferably straight from the garden. I used Roma and yellow pear.)
3 cups fresh torn spinach (washed and dried)
1 cup fresh mozzarella, diced
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped

After the pasta is finished cooking, drain it, but don't rinse it. Pour the hot pasta over the ingredients in your salad. Toss with 1/3 C olive oil, 1/3 C Parmesan cheese, ground pepper, and sea salt. Then toss in the toasted bread chunks. Top with a bit of fresh lemon zest if you like, and serve immediately. The mozzarella melts and becomes gooey without becoming clumpy, the spinach wilts just a bit, and the tomatoes cook ever so slightly. The result is absolutely delicious.
It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Try it!
post signature

4 comments:

Michael Family said...

I do something similar, but have never tried it with spinach. That sounds good! I also add some balsamic vinegar, because I love it. And if I am feeling lazy, instead of fresh tomatoes I use Trader Joe's bruchetta sauce and add in the fresh mozzarella balls. Yum!

SusieQ said...

I'd like to know what you seasoned your salmon with...that looks delicious!

SusieQ said...

I'd like to know what you seasoned your salmon with...it looks delicious!

Amy D said...

Mmmm...sounds divine! I made your tortellini soup tonight, so was already thinking about you. You're such a great cook. Do you need me to send you another invite, or did you find our blog? (I think you've commented recently, but I could be wrong. Let me know.)