Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Family Journaling

I've been thinking lately about how best to strengthen my family. I want everyone in the family to feel important and valued. I also want to remember and treasure our everyday moments. So I've been working on family journaling. I have two new things I'm implementing that are really helping me to think about every person in the family as a crucial part of its success. It's also been a lot of fun.

The first idea I think I read in Family Fun magazine. I'm sure many of you read this too. They have great ideas and every once in a while I actually do one of them. Here's the basic idea:
get a file box of some sort (I got our super-sturdy one at Wal-mart for $10. It matched the shelf it sits on and looks cool.) and fill it with blank index cards. About three times a week we each get a chance to say something that goes on a card. Then the cards are filed. The idea is that the next year on the same date we can look back and see what happened. I can picture the kids coming home years from now and flipping through this box, seeing what they said about their day in 2010. Here's a sample of what a card says:

March 30th 2010

Kara: Went to play school today. Made a mask she wore proudly all day. Is learning to do puzzles.

Hayden: Cold soccer practice in the wind and rain. Brr! Learned about planets at school.

Jillian: Working on a composition in piano. LOVES fettucine alfredo for dinner.

Amy: Kids went back to school after mammoth spring break today. Lots of cleaning to do!

Kyle: Started new term of teaching. Only one class, though, so things should be easier than last term.




The other journaling idea came from Kyle, believe it or not. Around my birthday he gave me the cutest little green book full of journal entries he made over about two months. Some of the entries made me laugh so hard. Others made me teary-eyed. He talked about things I did for him, how much he appreciates what I do in the family, what he loves about me, and even little mundane things I would never remember or think of as important. He took the book back to put in more entries. I hope he continues because it made me so happy.

Then I went to Target and found this great set of three little books. I had to have them. But I also had to have a reason to have them. So I decided to fill each one with thoughts, observations, advice, and memories of each of the kids. I may let Jillian and Hayden have a sneak peak on Mother's Day. Obviously Kara's will have to wait until she can read. Two or three times a week I spend about 10 minutes at bedtime writing to the kids. I love those moments. Here's what I am going to write about tonight:

Kara: When we went to the mailbox yesterday to mail Grandpa's birthday card, the sun was shining brightly. We decided to take a walk. It was so fun to watch you. You picked dandelions and tried to blow the seeds into the air. You showed me how good you are at jumping off of two feet. Then you and I walked backwards to see how long we could do it. I followed your lead and you liked being in charge. There were people driving by and I saw at least two of them slow down and smile as they watched you enjoy the day. We should take more walks!

Hayden: Tonight when we were watching
Life together you wanted to snuggle with me. I'm glad we are close. It feels good to snuggle with you. Kara wanted your spot and wiggled her way up to me, knocking you off the couch. You hardly knew what happened! But I told Kara she'd have to snuggle Daddy and I picked you right back up. You also finished reading the 5th Percy Jackson book. It took you just five days. Wow! You said that was a new record for you.

Jillian: Tonight you invited me in your room for one of our "pillow talk" chats. When Dad peeked in you let him know it was just our time. We talked about what we could do to make your room even better, if getting a goldfish was a good idea, why we don't always let you go on sleepovers, and all sorts of things. I hope we can always find time for chats. Thanks for inviting me up to your room. Your bed is so comfortable and I love talking with you.



I feel like the little effort I'm putting forth to write down some of these things during the early years of our family will pay off huge dividends in the future. Taking time to write and remember also forces me to think about how much love I feel for my family and ways I can improve as a mother and wife. And it's making me work on handwriting and grammar as well. Ha!

Off to write!


post signature

4 comments:

mama bear said...

These are both such great ideas! I may just have to copy you - besides, I always love getting new notebooks!

Cheri said...

Fabulous ideas. And wow! I think that gift from Kyle may be the greatest gift ever. What a guy! And you are a great mom! I think you are right - little efforts now for huge future dividends.
Happy writing!

Amanda Mallett said...

We started the journal box too, and it's been almost 2 months now! It's amazing how easily it works. Wish I'd figured it out earlier! Good luck with the pregnancy. I was so impressed when I heard you were going for it again, when it's so hard on you.
Yesterday I was looking at my picture of the Portland temple and very homesick to be there, so enjoy it for me next time you're there!

Amy K said...

what great ideas! I am stealing them. :}